Blew a diesel hose

Status
Not open for further replies.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Blew a fitting and it sprayed diesel all over my bilge. Not gallons, but enough to smell. What do you guys reccomend to clean up the mess and get rid of the odor?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Just had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago. I sprayed a lot of 409 cleaner in the gaps where the diesel disappeared into the inaccessible parts under the floor and cabinets. I let that sit a while then took a water hose and flushed it out.. did that again with dish cleaner (Dawn, I think) and flushed it out again.. Then flushed again.. Usually I leave the cabin sealed and the air conditioner on "dehumidify" .. but I installed the dorade horns and got as much ventilation as I could.. Tuesday I opened up after 10 days or so and there was no diesel smell.. I was amazed. I brought some PureAyre and sprayed it around some but really didn't need to.. I did replace the diesel return line.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
simple green works well too for cleaning and deodorize

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
"PURE AYRE" marine formula eliminates odors from bilge, fish, heads, diesel fuel, wastewater, holding tanks, cigarettes, cooking and pets. It's safe enough to spray directly on people and pets. It's biodegradable too.

www.pureayre.com/marine.htm

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I recently changed fuel filters and spilled a bit of diesel in the bilge. Wiped up the spill with paper towels and sprayed remainder with ZEP Orange Degreaser (purchased from Home Depot), finally wiped up diesel residue & ZEP. Smelled pretty good immediately. Ventilated with a fan for 24 -48 hours and had no remaining diesel smell. I think that it worked well and will use it again.

Sep 6, 2007
Catalina 320 Gulfport, Fl
Another great de-stinker is plain old vinegar. After cleaning the diesel out coat the entire are with vinegar. The cabin will smell like a salad for a day or so but the diesel smell will be gone.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I would also start with Simple Green. The dish detergents also do a good job, but SG first.

After you get the initial oil removed you can proceed with the other products to finalize the cleanup.

What hose is this that has decided to cut loose? (photos?)

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
"PURE AYRE" marine formula eliminates odors from bilge, fish, heads, diesel fuel, wastewater, holding tanks, cigarettes, cooking and pets. It's safe enough to spray directly on people and pets. It's biodegradable too.

www.pureayre.com/marine.htm

I've been around a few people that could use a good spraying with something like this but I think they might take offense. Maybe I should ask them first?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Pure Ayre Hose Down

Merlin.. I am laughing! I definitely could have used a spray down with Pure Ayre Marine after having to crawl down into "The Pit" where the diesel tank is in the H-34. The return line had cracked at the aft most fitting on the tank. Required me to lie on my side next to the tank in a small puddle of diesel in order to change out the hose. The fitting is a little past the aft end of the battery box.. Those are the dink floorboards on the left side of the picture. Not an easy place to get to. The access door that some folks have installed in the bulkhead on the right looks very tempting after dealing with this..

Attachments

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
That's a tight fit! And probably have to use a mirror and a flashlight to see what is back there??
The joys of boat ownership Claude! LOL!

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
The access door that some folks have installed in the bulkhead on the right looks very tempting after dealing with this..[/quote]

Don't want to steal this thread Claude,but I did just that a few years ago and am really pleased as it simplifies working in that pit when needed. It made changing that return line real easy. I still climb down in the pit occasionally however but have to remove my belt when coming out as the buckle catches the coaming and won't let me slide past LOL. Here are a few pics for you.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.