Bleed air from an A/C Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2005
Hunter 310 Lake Canyon Yacht Club, Texas
I just purchased a 2000 model 310 with a Marine Air systems Passport II A/C unit. I had the boat moved so when I tried to start and use the A/C for the first time, it did not pump any water through the system. Basically, it has lost it's prime and cannot seem to self prime. I took off the water bowl and wire filter and cleaned both. Water does flow from the seacock and into the bowl so I am getting water to that point. I only have the quick reference guide cards so I could not determine how to prime the pump. I did find the operations manual on the Marine Air website but it does not indicate how to bleed the system. Does anyone know how to do this or know where to obtain a more in-depth manual? Thanks Ken

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Ken, the way our boat is set up the raw ...

water filter and raw water pump for the Marine Air AC are below the waterline. No prime is required, but the pump uses a separate breaker panel switch from the AC switch to turn it on. The pump will not come on until the AC is turned on. If it were my boat I would locate the raw water pump that feeds the AC unit, disconnect the hose from the raw water side of the pump (first close the seacock) and fill it and the pump with water. Reconnect and try again. this should get the pump to prime. Hope this helps. Terry

A

Andy

Easy way

Quick re-prime method, turn on the AC and quickly put a wet vac on the outboard discharge, Once the vacum is sucking water, remove the vacum and let it run.

M

Margaritaville

Draw the water

disconnect the discharge from the thru hull and draw water thru the system with either a shop vac or just sucking on the hose. Re attach the hose to the thru hull and turn the ac on. Sit back and enjoy the cool air.

T

Tony

inlet line air

I have a 2000 340 and this has happend to me a few times Close thu hull open pump intake line( two clamps) and remove from pump inlet stub i bet you see no water to top of the line crack open thru hull till water comes thru hose and close. slip inlet back on pump and tighten both clamps you now have water from thru hull to pump inlet that should do it t

Mar 6, 2005
Will try the vacumn

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I did try to take off the hose coming out of the pump to the A/C unit in order to prime it by pouring some water in the pump but the hoses are on so tight I decided to wait until I found a better way. I was concerned that pulling too hard on the pump may break a fitting, etc or would start it leaking. I will try to draw water via the outlet. I will let you know whether this works. Ken

A

Andy

After winter you may have a "feeder tube"

To winterize the AC, I put a tee between the thru hull and the filter. Attached to the tee (which is now plugged, I had a hose to pour pink stuff into the line while it was running. If you do the same, next year you can use that hose (holding it above pump and discharge) to prime the AC. And BTW, I don't disconnect the discharge for the vacum trick, I just stick it on the outside of the hull and let it suck.

Mar 6, 2005
Shopvac Worked great

I tried the shop vac sucking on the outside discharge hole and it worked great. I turned on the A/C, made sure the water pump was on and pressed the business end of my vacumn hose over the thru hull discharge. It took all of 5 seconds for it start pumping water and I now have nice cold air. Thanks again. Since I am down in the San Antonio, Texas area, I don't think I will need to winterize the unit but what are the steps to do that and what is the pink stuff that Andy is referring to?

A

Andy

Pick stuff is antifreeze

Ken, pink stuff is the freshwater antifreeze. Since you're in San Antone you can forget that pink stuff and ..well, ah, just have fun sailing! Keep the vac handy-every once in a while a big heeling in waves may "unprime" the AC. Besides, its handy to have around. Fair winds 2u

Status
Not open for further replies.