Blackwater/ Macerator pump issue

Sep 19, 2019
Hunter 450 San Diego
Hello everyone. So here's one that has me scratching my head. My macerator pump is leaking but only when I have my system lined up for dumping into my waste tank. When I have it lined up for overboard discharge it doesn't. Has anyone else had this problem?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What type of water is leaking. Black “waste” water. Or water back flowing from an open thru hull?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
A blocked tank vent wouldn't have any impact on a pump that's beyond a closed y-valve.

A pump can only leak if the seal or gasket that seals the leakage point in the pump has failed. Which means it's actually continously leaking, but doesn't appear to be when in use 'cuz waste is going through it. But if you check it several hours after use. I'm betting you'll find that it's leaking, no matter which way the y-valve is aimed (if aimed at the macerator pump, you can't use the toilet during this test).

When, if ever, have you rinsed out the macerator pump and plumbing to it? That should be done at least nominally after every use...but at LEAST several times a season.

-Peggie

Sep 19, 2019
Hunter 450 San Diego
Looked closer and yes one of the 2 long rods that bolt the pump to the motor had snapped off. So I'm in the process of getting a new seal kit and rods

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
If your Macerator is a Jabsco like on my H430, then get then newest model. They had a design flaw in the bolts and macerator blade.
The newest model cost me $100 and runs fine, design flaws corrected. Piping set ups are the same.
Jim...

PS: A friend with a H450 replaced his also.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
If your Macerator is a Jabsco like on my H430, then get then newest model. They had a design flaw in the bolts and macerator blade.
The newest model cost me $100 and runs fine, design flaws corrected. Piping set ups are the same.
Jim...

What James said. I had the same issue. Three of the four bolts were broken. New pump with the upgrade fixed it.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
The raritan macerator is the exact same mounting footprint and power draw as jabsco if anyone is looking at a better replacement.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Jim...

To that point
The original rods were brass, and they just rotted out. Jabsco saved 3 Cents by doing this, and it was a disaster.
The new rods are stainless

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Hunter Legend 40.5 Victoria
Can you get the stst rods separately? I had to canibalise the spare pump left by th PO for the same issue.
Thanks.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Yes, the rods can be replaced with stainless steel screw rods. To keep them from breaking add a 4" hose to the intake of the macerator.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Yes, the rods can be replaced with stainless steel screw rods. To keep them from breaking add a 4" hose to the intake of the macerator.
Honestly, I never would rebuild a mascerstor. Tried it once years ago, and just the tiniest crack in the seal stinks up your boat.
It’s a $100 replaceable part, and it’s best to look at it that way. With the new stainless rods, you’ve got a good 5 years on it easilly.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Where do find 100 dollar macerators?
Defender has the best prices on most things. Rebuilding a macerator just doesn’t make sense. Jabsco charges a lot for the parts, and it’s an awful job. Plus, it’s just never going to be as air tight as a new unit. Just not worth the headache.