Black water seacock

Jul 19, 2023
Catalina 27 Morro Bay
Suppose the seacock on the discharge of the macerator was stuck. How would you go about freeing it up? If you had to find another way to isolate the black water tank from the discharge through-hull, what would that be? Disconnecting the hose to the macerator and installing a valve or even a plug comes to mind. I can't tell if there is a three-way valve between the macerator inlet and the deck pumpout fitting.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
As with any stuck seacock, there is nothing unusual with this one. Dissembling is the best approach to be able to inspect, lube and reassemble or replace as needed. It’s irrelevant with a real seacock which can be removed from the thruhull (with minimal water ingress if the boat is in the water) until the hole can be plugged. Even easier if the boat is hauled. The tank contents won’t move through a macerater when unpowered if it’s full of crap.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
It depends on what kind of through hull valve it is. However, when my ball valve shaft failed, I had to wait until the boat was hauled to replace the valve. You might be able to do so in the water with a wooden tapered plug inserted in the through hull fitting if it is a ball valve on to a threaded through hull base.

Jul 19, 2023
Catalina 27 Morro Bay
It depends on what kind of through hull valve it is. However, when my ball valve shaft failed, I had to wait until the boat was hauled to replace the valve. You might be able to do so in the water with a wooden tapered plug inserted in the through hull fitting if it is a ball valve on to a threaded through hull base.
It’s a ball valve, and I’m concerned about causing the shaft to fail. I wonder if applying some heat to expand the body would help, or just ruin the seals.

Jul 19, 2023
Catalina 27 Morro Bay
As with any stuck seacock, there is nothing unusual with this one. Dissembling is the best approach to be able to inspect, lube and reassemble or replace as needed. It’s irrelevant with a real seacock which can be removed from the thruhull (with minimal water ingress if the boat is in the water) until the hole can be plugged. Even easier if the boat is hauled. The tank contents won’t move through a macerater when unpowered if it’s full of crap.
I’m skeptical the macerator would be effective enough to seal and pass a dye test at Avalon.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Early last season I notice the sea water valve for our aft electric head was very stiff and would only open slightly. I was afraid of breaking something it was so stiff. When I hired my diver to do our annual hull inspection I had him apply some water proof grease to the valve from the outside. After working it several times it loosened up and now opens and closes as smooth as silk.

Some valves have a small port for installing a zerk fitting where one can lube the valve. Others have a small channel through the valve shaft,, also for a zerk fitting. Worth a look see.

Dec 25, 2000
The other option is to haul the boat for a short hang, squirt some lube designed to cut through corrosion, such as WD40, from the outside and see whether that will loosen the stuck valve.

Jul 19, 2023
Catalina 27 Morro Bay
The Hunter 376 manual has a crude wastewater treatment schematic. It shows a "Tee" between the blackwater tank and the macerator and the deck pumpout. I don't have ready access to my boat to find this "Tee" and determine whether it is in fact a Y-valve. Can anyone tell me?

Dec 25, 2000
Likely a wye fitting rather than a valve. Our boat (different model) is set up the same way, if I understand your description. One standpipe in the wast tank connects to a hose, then to a wye fitting. One hose from the wye goes to the deck pump out, the other to the macerator overboard through hull.