Black soot in engine compartment

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve

I seem to have excessive black soot accumulating on the engine compartment cover everytime i go out. What is causing this? The engine runs fine. I was thinking that it may be the belts wearing. Any help?

D

Daryl

Yup belts

Check the tension and replace if necessary. The alternator may be slipping under load

B

Brett

I'd vote for exhaust leak

I had a similar problem on my 78 H30. Turned out to be an exhaust leak.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Black dust. is usually belt dust.

Steve: This is a common thing on the Yanmar engines. Our mechanic says that we should keep this stuff at bay as much as possible. Keep proper tension on the belts and keep the engine compartment as kleen as possible. This stuff just gets sucked into the engine and probably does not do it much good. I am not sure but you may want to install new high quality belts like Gates brand and see if that help with the dust too.

P

Paul Akers

If you smell it...

...while in use, then it may be an exhaust leak. But, I'd bet that it's belt dust, also. If belt tension is too tight or too loose or pulleys are out of line, then it's probably dust. Does it accumulate heavier in one place than another? Is that place near the belts? That's your answer. :) P.S. Also check the noise suppressor (cone-shaped air filter). If it's dirty, also, then clean it with mild soap & water and allow to dry thoroughly.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
The key word was 'cover'

If the 'soot' was over the belts, OK, but if it's over the transmission end of the engine, it's time for a new elbow. If it's the elbow, Steve, do it now. Very important.

S

Steve Voyce

pulley rust

It is important to keep the pulleys clean and free of rust. My Yanmar dealer sold me some special cut sand paper to use on my pulleys once or twice a year. Good luck.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Steve, how's the weather up there?

That sandpaper sounds like just the ticket. Who did you call? Cascade?

J

Jim A

Your exhaust system is lose

I had the same problem. The yard mech tighten it up and replaced my mixing elbow. $700 later it was ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.