Black Mold on Fiberglass!

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
OK, So I have an Islander 41 center cockpit, something like 2 acres of deck. With our wet winter in CA, I had black mold, green algae and 2 months worth of just general gunk. The admiral got out the vinegar, a scrub brush and toothpicks. She spent about 2 days working on the non-skid to get a 4' by 4' area mostly clean. As is mentioned nothing works better than a lot of hard work. However being that she doesn't like to work that hard and I'm generally lazy, I looked for a better approach.

The stinkpotters in my marina all use power washers. So I visited my favorite HD store and found this Ryobi 1,600-PSI 1.2-GPM Electric Pressure Washer. Fits in a cockpit locker and has a long cord, to reach anywhere on the boat. I spent the next 3 hours cleaning decks, including the area the admiral worked on. After 3 hours all of the dirt, mold and algae was gone and I was back to a white deck.

I found that just making several passes in multiple directions from about 6-10 inches works well. Besides the small size of the unit I also liked that it was relatively low power (only 1600 PSI max). Do be careful on unfinished grayed teak, I found that it also cleaned that very nicely and have been told I can't clean it with the power washer. It will degrade the teak. But I'll probably commit another act of sacrilege which I'll cover in another post when I clean the teak and give it 3 coats of Cetol so I can do a 5' finish. After all she's a 40 year old sailboat, not a showboat.

Good luck.

May 19, 2017
Catalina 27 Al Larson Marina San Pedro Ca.
Very nice, I'm buying one, I know it will work! How do I keep it from coming back?
Thanks,
Gregory

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
Does the washer require water from a pressurized line, or will it pick up water from the lake? Our marina doesn't have running water on the docks.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
That is the washer I got for my boat. Works great. I just used it on my deck at home followed up with 80 grit sanding. Looks fab after the pennifin was applied.

Les

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
I'm following this thread since we have the same problem with black spots all over the deck. I've been scrubbing with Spray Nine 2-3 times/season and it's a real PITA. I'm inclined to agree with thinwater that this is not mold, but please tell us what BAC is???

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i use prevention method--cover boat in the rain season then open topsides and washdown with liquid soap and water. funny how with tarps over tops i donot get any mold growth on my coachhouse.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome back "ZEEHAG"
It is like you've been gone for so long....