Black mast

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I will likely have to drop my mast. When I do so, at minimum I'd like to touch up the mast, if not repaint it. Does anyone have any experience with a black S2 mast? I presume it was likely anodized originally. A previous owner touched it up, but it wasn't a very good job.

Thanks,

Bob

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
I don't think you can touch up anodizing. Mine is painted white and if I get some wwarm weather before it goes back up it will get painted again just for looks.

Mar 8, 2008
S2 30 9.2A Jax
I believe the previous response is correct in that you can't touch up anodizing. When I pulled the mast, I made the decision to go ahead and paint both the mast and boom. All fittings were removed, mast was sanded to metal, primed, and then sprayed with awlgrip (white). A bit time consuming, but the results were great. I did the fitting removal and sanding and a friend (skilled) did the spraying.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Anyone know whether is it painted or anodized? I assume anodized. It is a Kenyon spar. Maybe I should call Rigrite. They know a lot about Kenyon.

I am likely not up for doing the mast on top of everything else this year, but I have to do at least the back stay, which is pretty kinky. I knew I should have removed it myself, rather than leave it to the yard, which may have kinked it loosening it as it the closed turnbuckle was frozen. Just too much going on last year, it being my first with the boat. I had sprayed all the turnbuckles, but hadn't the time to disassemble them all and do it properly before the boat move.

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
I say it's anodized. I'm sure you could even touch it up with a black permenant marker- don't laugh, for a temp. cosmetic fix. I wouldn't bother trying to touch up with paint. When you get time, drop the mast again, scuff it really well clean and paint. You can roll and tip it with two part paint. I wouldn't pay for taking a mast down and not use two part paint- it's so more durable. My opinion only!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Sounds like the plan has to be to either strip and paint it or skip the paint job all together and just focus on the rigging. It will be a waste not to tackle it all at one time, but unfortunately time is typically the thing I have the least of. I think it will probably end up driven by a few things, whether the weather is any good in the spring so I can get an early start, whether or not I end up doing significant deck core repair under the mast and whether I have any money left!

gilSoo

Jun 26, 2007
- - Eagle Mt Lake
Bob, I think that the mast was awlgrip painted after a clear anodize coat. So I would call your marine paint supplier and see about the proper way to get the surfaces ready.
According to the owners manual for the S2 9.2 page 52 they mention the awlgrip finish.

May 2, 2008
S2 9.2C 1980 St. Leonard (Chesapeake Bay), MD
Bob, I think that the mast was awlgrip painted after a clear anodize coat. So I would call your marine paint supplier and see about the proper way to get the surfaces ready.
According to the owners manual for the S2 9.2 page 52 they mention the awlgrip finish.
Where did you get an owner's manual that has that many pages? All I have is the brief manual that has more pages (blank) for a ship's log than anything else.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Awlgrip would be good news.

Where did you get an owner's manual that has that many pages? All I have is the brief manual that has more pages (blank) for a ship's log than anything else.
The problem with anodizing is nobody nearby will have a tank big enough to redo it so you end up painting anyway. What year is your boat? I am with Gary...the manual I have is pretty skimpy.

gilSoo

Jun 26, 2007
- - Eagle Mt Lake
Re: Awlgrip would be good news.

I found it on this site in the boat info tab and than selected the boat I was looking for.
It does say that awlgrip was used to paint the mast and boom. It would seem to me that all you would have to do is sand the old paint and use it as the primer.
I will call the paint dealer and get exact info on this.

gilSoo

Jun 26, 2007
- - Eagle Mt Lake
Mast paint info. in manual on this site. Go to ;
Boat Info,
Sailboat knowledge Base
9.2a
S2 9.2a knowledge base
1977 9.2 manual - upload file - S2 9.2A manual 1977.pdf

You will get over 50 pages on that manual and the info on the mast and boom paint is on page 52.

Jan 17, 2009
2 9.2/C Rockford, MI
I have a black Kenyon anodized spar on my 1979 9.2/c.

I think the earlier boats had anodized spars, while the later ones were Awlgrip. A friend has a 1981 S2 7.3 and his looks just like mine.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The manual referenced is for a 1977. It says clear anodized painted with black awlgrip. However, S2 isn't particularly notable for their accuracy when it comes to details like this!

gilSoo

Jun 26, 2007
- - Eagle Mt Lake
I think that while my mast is down I will look into painting it. Having said that looking into the proper surface preparation is in order!
How is the teak & holly plywood floor attached ? Mine has some h2o stains and could use replacing .

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I have a black Kenyon anodized spar on my 1979 9.2/c.

I think the earlier boats had anodized spars, while the later ones were Awlgrip. A friend has a 1981 S2 7.3 and his looks just like mine.
on my 79 9.2a it also has a black anodized mast and spreaders ...and i hope to keep it that way ....if it cleans up well i will just use it ......

regards

woody

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I think that while my mast is down I will look into painting it. Having said that looking into the proper surface preparation is in order!
How is the teak & holly plywood floor attached ? Mine has some h2o stains and could use replacing .
i had a good look see at ROK' s boat in jacksonville about a month ago ...and he refloored his with enginered flooring and it looked great....he also had a very clean boat as well including the head liner after much hours of cleaning and scrubing and it looked like new ...i was very impressed with there efforts

mine is glued down and i will do it the same way when it comes time to replace it........i am also cutting a access hole in the sole just foward of the engine cover to access the bilge and the shower sump box that i am installing

regards

woody

Mar 8, 2008
S2 30 9.2A Jax
Thanks Woody for the compliments. If I can help anyone with pictures, etc., just let me know. The access to the bilge was a critical change -- it's amazing now I as I don't stress over dropping something into the bilge. Now I can easily stretch out and reach the bottom. Oh, the joys of boats ownership! :)

Jan 17, 2009
2 9.2/C Rockford, MI
The manual referenced is for a 1977. It says clear anodized painted with black awlgrip. However, S2 isn't particularly notable for their accuracy when it comes to details like this!

I wonder if it was just the bigger boats that got that treatment?

gilSoo

Jun 26, 2007
- - Eagle Mt Lake
If you take pictures please post them cause in all the years of owning sailboats it helps to look at how someone else did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.