Black gunk in bilge not oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mescyc

Apr 1, 2013
catalina 30 san diego
I am getting some kind of black gunk in the bilge and it is not oil or fuel. what the heck is it?

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
black gunk

could be your v belt dust check belts and rub your finger against to compare material against whats in bilge

mescyc

Apr 1, 2013
catalina 30 san diego
Black liquid in bilge not oil or fuel

A black liquid in the bilge not oil or fuel and has no smell. ???

Dec 1, 2011
Catalina 1984 C30 Tall Rig Bow Sprit MD
Do you have a leak from the head to the shower drain? Or are you using the shower?

Dec 1, 2011
Catalina 1984 C30 Tall Rig Bow Sprit MD
The reason for the question about the head or shower is the black gunk could be a mold or bacteria mass. That leads to you have a leak and the black mass is fed from wood rotting and the water carrying the nutrients to the bilge. Try a bilge cleaner to see if it does anything.

mescyc

Apr 1, 2013
catalina 30 san diego
Thank you for the reply. I have cleaned the bilge with cleaner two times and I am still getting it. I have also made sure the drains are closed when I leave the boat for a couple of weeks at a time.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
mescyc said:
Thank you for the reply. I have cleaned the bilge with cleaner two times and I am still getting it. I have also made sure the drains are closed when I leave the boat for a couple of weeks at a time.
This summer under the extreme heat I had it show up for the first time in my bilge. Looked like oil but on closer inspection it turned out to be a form of black algie . The color was actually a very very dark green. Cleaned disinfect the bilge so far it has not returned. And I finally fixed the reason my bilge was always damp. Shop vac works great on getting that last bit of bilge water that likes to trickle back down and out the bilge discharge hose.

Last edited:

mescyc

Apr 1, 2013
catalina 30 san diego
Thank you onecoolair for the information. I am going keep cleaning and Im sure it will end. I was told it could be a back up through the drain. I have a a great product that kills mold & mildew and removes the black gunk but it seems to come back. It should stop.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
Just an idea. Could you be seeing a chemical reaction between some adhesives, varnish, sealant. I've seen polyurethane and silicone seal on top of each other dissolve into a black goo over time, especially in wet environment.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
shipwreck66 said:
Just an idea. Could you be seeing a chemical reaction between some adhesives, varnish, sealant. I've seen polyurethane and silicone seal on top of each other dissolve into a black goo over time, especially in wet environment.
You make a good question.... But in my case I had cleaned the raw water strainer for one of the a/c units and then forgot to flush the bilge with fresh water and left some of the not so clear Clear Lake in the bilge and after about two weeks in the extreme Texas heat . This is what I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.