Bitter sweet first launch

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
So stepping and rigging went well launching was a breeze. But there was one thing I could not check in all the refitting. The damn sr Mariner thru hulls. I elected to not to cut them out as I did not want a major glass project on top of all the other work. (Plus cutting out plastic sealed with 5200 did not appeal. So had my wife pull the cushion and check them the very first thing. Yep already had about a gallon of water. In goes the trailer. Out comes the boat I pull aside to see if I can reseat the gasket, give it a second launch, no go. So have lunch in the parking lot, break down the boat and wait for the blanks from Sr Mariner to com in.

Positives rigging went smoothly, breakdown also went well. And didn't discover water in the boat 1 mile from the ramp. wife joked we did all the hard parts so next time Neptune will be kind. (She forgot the "offering" for the renamed boat.) So we we're lucky Neptune didn't smite us harder.........

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
So we we're lucky Neptune didn't smite us harder.........
Day I picked up the boat: spent a ton of time prepping everything to haul her away from the PO. Boat was not aligned on trailer with keel in slot and I was taking the first short hop from PO to the launch ramp to reseat.

Two blocks after pulling away every lugnut on the port rim spins off and the wheel falls off.

You sir, are in fine shape ;) and ahead of most of us I expect.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Day I picked up the boat: spent a ton of time prepping everything to haul her away from the PO. Boat was not aligned on trailer with keel in slot and I was taking the first short hop from PO to the launch ramp to reseat.

Two blocks after pulling away every lugnut on the port rim spins off and the wheel falls off.

You sir, are in fine shape ;) and ahead of most of us I expect.
:banghead::plus::beer::beer:

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
There should not be plastic thru-hulls below the waterline.
Define 'Plastic'. To my knowledge, Marlon is fine under water. I do not recall ever seeing nylon thru-hulls threaded to accept a seacock and every thru-hull below the water should have a seacock.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
There should not be plastic thru-hulls below the waterline.
Airmar, who make 95% of the world's transducers, uses 'plastic' as the build material in probably 95% of their thru-hull products. It meets all ABYC H-27 (Seacocks, Thru-hull Fittings, and Drain Plugs) standards.

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Lake Monroe
So stepping and rigging went well launching was a breeze. But there was one thing I could not check in all the refitting. The damn sr Mariner thru hulls. I elected to not to cut them out as I did not want a major glass project on top of all the other work. (Plus cutting out plastic sealed with 5200 did not appeal. So had my wife pull the cushion and check them the very first thing. Yep already had about a gallon of water. In goes the trailer. Out comes the boat I pull aside to see if I can reseat the gasket, give it a second launch, no go. So have lunch in the parking lot, break down the boat and wait for the blanks from Sr Mariner to com in.

Positives rigging went smoothly, breakdown also went well. And didn't discover water in the boat 1 mile from the ramp. wife joked we did all the hard parts so next time Neptune will be kind. (She forgot the "offering" for the renamed boat.) So we we're lucky Neptune didn't smite us harder.........
Ok Mariner thru hulls? A leak? I know practically nothing about boats. Learning as I go. Found an old 22 and been cleaning her up for days. Got the mast stepped. Think that's right. Replacing missing stuff. UPS gonna assign me my own truck. Freaking out about the swing keel. Is it really up or gonna plop down as soon as it clears the trailer? Now there's something called "Thru hulls" ? Oh boy. I'm gonna launch in a couple of days. Well I wish you a smooth go of it. Ain't nobody got time for launch issues.