Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2010
Seafarer 26 Ruskin
K this brought visions of a forgotten snake placed in the rigging and dropping into the cockpit while sailing peacefully. NO WAY.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 309 Jacksonville, FL
Birds are infamous for getting used to any moving or dangling stuff on the life-lines and generally will return...again and again. Try this, it has worked for over three years for me as I went to war with a huge number of swallows. I used plastic clothes pins clipped to the life lines and down the length of the boom. I thread a heavy monofilament line (i.e. 50 lb. fishing line) through the holes at the tip of the clothes pins and attached a small carabiner clip at each end of the line to attach to the boat. Once you have the appropriate length (It can stretch a bit to fit tightly) it only takes a very few minutes to put the lines on at the end of the sailing trip / or take them off before you sail. I used an old fashioned technique of rolling up the line and attached clothes pins on a rolled up magazine (like you would do a string of Christmas lights). The birds hate to run into the line and learn it is best and easiest to rest and poop on your neighbor's boat. A small investment of time compared to the scrubbing of the bird droppings. Good luck.

Aug 17, 2010
Catalina 310 Lake Pueblo
David

Thanks for the info. You are correct, at least in this case, the birds did get used to the surveyor tape. I find them sitting right next to where they are tied to the life line

Status
Not open for further replies.