Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2010
Catalina 310 Lake Pueblo
The marina has a huge bird population and they love to sit on the life lines, jib sheets and just about anything else worthy of a perch. Along with that comes lots of bird poop. I don't mind the birds I just wish they would stop pooping all over the boat!

Does anyone have a proven method to keep birds from squatting on the boat?

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Wonder how well and anemometer works with one of the cups shot off?

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Imbbeamer

Look at all the boats in your marina .......the most boats with the least of bird poop is the winner and the winning idea should be shared with us with a picture of your research.

paulj

Nov 24, 2010
Seafarer 26 Ruskin
One of the workers at the marina said he knows people that hang dvds on a string in the rigging. His theory is birds don't like movement. Have not tried it yet but i might ready a string for this year and let you know. Forget about the plastic owls. They don't work in Florida.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
One of the workers at the marina said he knows people that hang dvds on a string in the rigging. His theory is birds don't like movement. Have not tried it yet but i might ready a string for this year and let you know. Forget about the plastic owls. They don't work in Florida.
Got'em up, don't work.

mr c

Aug 4, 2010
hunter sailboat 31 northport
I went to a party store and purchased flags after being visited by birds. Didn't have a problem the rest of the season.

Aug 17, 2010
Catalina 310 Lake Pueblo
Thanks for the ideas, Ray's idea would work but then I would have to deal with the people that like the birds.... unless you all have a method to keep them away!
This is a work in progress. this weekend we hung 3' strips for pink surveyor’s tape from the rigging and the halyards. My dad says that work for him in Southwest Ohio

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Follow Up

Thanks for the ideas, Ray's idea would work but then I would have to deal with the people that like the birds.... unless you all have a method to keep them away! ...
Shoot at the people too! :D

Aug 17, 2010
Catalina 310 Lake Pueblo
The surveyors tape has made a difference. The amount of birds landing and pooping on the boat has decreased but it is not 100% gone. I believe the technique is successful, the problem with the surveyors tape is it needs to be replaced often. It will last about 2 weeks. I have heard of some stuff called scare tape that is red in color on one side and silver on the other. This sounds like it is more durable than the surveyors tape. I hope to upgrade to the scare tape next weekend.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Go to the dime store and pick up 2-3 rubber snakes. Birds hate snakes, they are an enemy. I put one on the bow, centre deck and on top of bimini. No more bird problems

Status
Not open for further replies.