Binnacle Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Is it just me, or is life about constantly struggling against small leaks on my boat? I have done all the "Gruender Improvements" (see Gene`s excellent articles at http://austinsailor.net/upgrades.html) and I still have a little water coming in from somewhere up forward...but here is one that Gene didn't cover: leaks from the binnacle. I have an Edson binnacle on my '83, but I am sure this would apply to most other makes too. Water gets in through the binnacle via a variety of joints - the compass, the throttle shaft, etc. (I have a Sunbrella cover but obviously I don't put it on while underway and seldom when at anchor). There is also reason to suspect the bedding on deck at the bottom of the pedastal - after all, our boats are ~30 years old. Water from the binnacle can leak onto the hot water heater, seep into the cockpit deck core (exposed plywood at the binnacle hole on my boat!) and, in my set-up, rust the plate that carries the binnacle sheaves. Yep, RUST! Edson, in their wisdom, mounted the bronze sheaves and their pillars on a piece of stamped, galvanized steel. I notice the replacement parts now use an aluminum or bronze plate, but at ~$350 from Edson, I can do a pretty thorough clean up and recoat of the old steel plate for a lot less...

Anyway, its something to check the next time you are down in the engine compartment! Kind of the same problem as the H30 owner who had rust on the mast compression support under the cabin sole, but easier to fix as the binnacle part can be removed. There should be a regulation (ABYC?) that no boat builder should ever use plain steel or iron anywhere on a pleasure boat except for the anchoring and engine equipment!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.