Bimini

hinmo1

Sep 6, 2019
Catalina 18 Mass
Anyone have a bimini on there C18? My new (to me) C18 has one....I am wondering if there will be issues getting to the mast or bow with it up? Also, line mgmnt, etc.....hope not, I really want to use it (age 62....dont need anymore rays!)

insight/experience? thx

Last edited:

hinmo1

Sep 6, 2019
Catalina 18 Mass
Catalina 18 back end.JPG

heres the only one I have so far....doesn't show you much....this one is from 2 owners ago...there's some online. but I dont want to borrow them w/o permission

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I have a Bimini that I’ve used once.
It seems too tall, fouls the boom. Also fouls the port jib sheet and makes it really uncomfortable to go forward.

Also, it seems to take me longer to set up the Bimini than it does to rig and launch the boat.

I’m leaving it home for my last sailing trip of the summer next weekend, I’m hoping to make peace with it next year, because I really like the potential upside.

I live in Michigan, so October sailing I’ll probably want as much sunshine as I can get anyway!

hinmo1

Sep 6, 2019
Catalina 18 Mass
I have a Bimini that I’ve used once.
It seems too tall, fouls the boom. Also fouls the port jib sheet and makes it really uncomfortable to go forward.

Also, it seems to take me longer to set up the Bimini than it does to rig and launch the boat.

I’m leaving it home for my last sailing trip of the summer next weekend, I’m hoping to make peace with it next year, because I really like the potential upside.

I live in Michigan, so October sailing I’ll probably want as much sunshine as I can get anyway!
the guy I am buying this from has not used it either, but the owner before him did (thus the pic), the concept is great, hope I can set it up so its simple. maybe we, and others can trade notes next spring/summer

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
@hinmo1

Sounds good to me. The guy I bought mine from said he used it all the time. Among other frustrations, you need three different Allen wrenches to put it together - replacing the set screws should be an easy step. I’m thinking about cutting a couple inches off of the main legs.