Bimini top advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehudm

Apr 12, 2009
Macgregor 26D Vancouver
How do I close the nuts from the inside for the side mount and the support poles? there is no access to unless I need to cut an opening in the fiberglass beneath the cockpit, any pictures or tips before I do something I'll regret?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
How do I close the nuts from the inside for the side mount and the support poles? there is no access to unless I need to cut an opening in the fiberglass beneath the cockpit, any pictures or tips before I do something I'll regret?

I used the mounting screws that I think came with the mounts. No nuts, but pilot holes the right size. The same with the slide tracks. Most of these are pretty much in shear. So far there has been no problems but if there are then I'll go the screw/nut combo. Your D coamings are a little different than the S unless it is the last of the D's so not sure how much foam is in there and what is the best way to access that area.

I have thought about putting some access ports in ours anyway to access the back side of some cleats we have better and that is an option They aren't expensive from Duckworks.

I put in the access ports in the bow of the Endeavour to ...

...access the bolts for...

. the new and old anchor bow rollers and ...

...the winch I installed.

So I guess it is up to what you feel will work for you,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

ehudm

Apr 12, 2009
Macgregor 26D Vancouver
Thanks Sumner, I'm surprise that it's not screw/nut combo, it might hold it strong enough with the 4200/screw. the Bimini-top should be here any day, hope I'll not need more help :)

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
... strong enough with the 4200/screw. ..
4200 would for sure make it stronger. I didn't use any as I like to take things apart ;). If I wanted to seal I'd use 4000. For a stronger bond 4200. I'm also bedding everything I can (those access plates in the picture for instance) with Maine Sails butyl tape. I really like it,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Actually, I did see a solution that gave standing head room on a 26S.

The Bimini was about 7 feet above the cockpit floor but back far enough to not interfere with the boom or main.
As such, it was only about 2 or 3 feet in length and the majority of it was over the aft locker and motor well.
Not sure if it provided any useful shade in the cockpit area but you could stand under it.

Looked really out of place too - sort of made the boat look top heavy.

The owner also planned to make it a "hard top" by putting a few hundred pounds of solar panels in place of the canvas.

He had a few other "different" mods as well. The centerboard was replaced with a keel from a Mac 25. That tore itself out along with a sizeable portion of the boat bottom (fortunately all destruction was on the other side of the ballast tank so the boat didn't sink). To deal with he weight, he added not one but two axels to the trailer.

Wish I could catch up with him and see how it all worked out!

Chris
CLEARLY we have never met :)

5' 9" is more than enough

Jeff

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Can you guys give me a sense of what it cost you, presuming its all stainless?

Jeff

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I installed 2 inspection plates on both port and stbd sides to get washers and nuts behind my slide fittings. Screws will only pull out.

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
If you mount the slides on the flat by the rub rail (as in the pic), two screws are all you need.

Forces are downward against the hull with a little shear on the screws I.e. it's not going to move.
Ours is tight and leak free after five seasons - no bolts, nuts or holes/access panels required.

Simplicity...

image-2041577019.jpg

Chris

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
I looked on Amazon yesterday just on a lark (after Google searching Bimini tops), and found that i can get a complete top for like $125, aluminum frame with stainless hardware, 6'x46"tallx76"wide or so... The material supposedly has UV protection and is 8.1 oz (which is heavier than I've seen advertised in other places). Also comes with a boot (cover).
Sure, i saw the websites where there are $300 and higher tops...just curious if anyone has bought one of these less expensive tops, and if they had any problems with it.

Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
I looked on Amazon yesterday just on a lark (after Google searching Bimini tops), and found that i can get a complete top for like $125, aluminum frame with stainless hardware, 6'x46"tallx76"wide or so... The material supposedly has UV protection and is 8.1 oz (which is heavier than I've seen advertised in other places). Also comes with a boot (cover).
Sure, i saw the websites where there are $300 and higher tops...just curious if anyone has bought one of these less expensive tops, and if they had any problems with it.
I just bought that very bimini a month or so ago.so I've owned the 375 dollar one and now this cheapo amazon one for 125 bucks. Its aluminum tube with nylon-plastic fittings and the material is definitely not sumbrella but for the money I would by the cheap one again,for what it does,its wasted money to buy the expensive one,unless your putting it on a boat that will routinely be exceeding 40-50mph.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Personally I think that 6 foot long is just too long for our boats but maybe not. Ours is Sunbrella and they matched the same color that we used for the rest of our canvas which was nice. I still haven't seen anything that really has the life of Sunbrella. I don't think they mention it but it also came with the boot.

Of course when we bought ours there wasn't near as much stuff coming in from China as there is now so the prices might now of dropped due to that. I know everyone is price conscious but even $150 more over the life of the Bimini, especially if it lasts longer, is not that much per year.

If you buy it I'm sure others will probably be interested in the answers to the same questions you posted,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
I have one. I use it but hate it. Everything said about it being a pain is true. I had to raise my boom and was lucky the sail still had room. You can' see sh@$ out the lee side for other traffic and you can' see the tails. (But the admirable sails by the wind in her face and "don't need no stinking tails"). LOL!

I' with getting a big sombrero.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
another .02 -

I have a bimini on my 26S (I think it may have been 5 foot, don’t remember as I instilled it maybe 5 years ago) and overall like it and interesting to see the different opinions about bimini's

The best application I had for the bimini were these week long trips to Lake Powell in June. Water was warm for delightful swimming but the sun was relentless and hot, family was there and the bimini made all the difference.

However, IMHO if you’re sailing and care enough about boat speed to be watching tail tells, you really don’t want that big drag air anchor (the bimini) up anyhow, at least I don’t. Any time I’m out day sailing where I’m around other sailboats, I almost never use the bimini. But when I’m out for just a relaxed sail - water RV - camping trip with the family, the bimini ends up pretty much all the time.

When I first installed the bimini, it would interfere with the boom during sailing so I lowered the bimini (rased the boom maybe an inch - the sail is more important to me than height under the bimini).

We have done a fair amount of sailing with the bimini up but it was more relaxed sailing, just enjoying being out on the water.

This link has a bunch of pictures of that particular Lake Powell application and down about 3/4 way are some pictures of the boat sailing with the bimini. This is a very remote spot and one of my sons took the sailing shots from a kayak we had been towing.
http://analogengineering.com/sail/powell/powell2009.html

FYI, can’t remember for sure but I think my bimini track is just held in by screws and glue - probably 3M 4000 or 4200 or something like that. I think you would need to cut some sort of access holes to install a backing plate or bolts. Haven’t had the slightest problem with this for maybe five years now.

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
Yes, great pics Bob.
Is that a PLANT I see on the galley top?????
LOL!!

And thanks for all the feedback.

Sumner, I'll be taking some more measurements to see what I think the minimum size is that we can expect to use. If it's too small then why bother? You know how blasted hot the sun gets down here.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.