Bimini top advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2011
Argo Navis Mac 22 Key Largo
We can't live without our Bimini top, it has no slides and we don't need them, she fold back unto the back stay. The only issue is tiring the book to stay, so we just fold back to gain access to boom tie line.

image-1532123650.jpg

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
Hey... Can you D/S guys please measure the height you have from cockpit floor to bimini frame, or from seat to frame? It won't help to know the height measurement of your bimini frame itself since everyone has them mounted in different places, but trying to determine what the right height from the cockpit floor is will give me the height I need to order to land where the bimini is mounted now (didn't want to make more holes).
Thanks all!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Hey... Can you D/S guys please measure the height you have from cockpit floor to bimini frame, or from seat to frame? It won't help to know the height measurement of your bimini frame itself since everyone has them mounted in different places, but trying to determine what the right height from the cockpit floor is will give me the height I need to order to land where the bimini is mounted now (didn't want to make more holes).
Thanks all!
If you are coming off existing holes measure up from them to under the boom and you should have a good idea. I wouldn't let existing holes maybe dictate where you might put a bimini.

Take a SS screw with a flat washer and bed under the washer and plug them. It doesn't look that bad when you are done or put a cleat there, they always come in handy.

I also moved our boom up just a bit to also help matters....

... then used those holes to ...

...mount the attach point for the ....

... bug enclosure, but could of filled them,

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/rigging-3.html

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
Thanks Sumner, i wanted to try to get a feel for how much room you experienced sailors have under the top- you and i are about the aame height.
First, i don't trust that the old one is in the right place or was the right height to begin with because i don't trust what the po's did, and second, the boom hits this one some in the front. But i din't want to lower it just because of that, because then it might end up being a little too short to handle my 6-1 body.
So if i had a good idea of how much room people have under theirs, i'll at least have an idea of whether mine is too tall or near to the right height... I hope this makes sense...

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
If you want to use the main with the bimini you dont get a lot of room under it

The kid in the picture on the tiller is 6' 2" , this bimini was lowered to allow the main to be used with the bimini up

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I had a cringle added to the mainsail just above the end of the boom to raise it slightly. When we use the bimini I have to tie the boom to the cringle so the boom will clear the top. This doesn't affect the sail shape like raising a topping lift would.

I have to sit way back to peer over the top to see the mast fly. It's worth it to keep the crew happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.