Bimini practical for a Hunter 22 ? ?

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
I have a Hunter 22, 2013 model with the open transom and long cockpit.

Would it be practical to install a Bimini Top of of some sort so I can get some break from the sun? Is it possible to rig one that is not constantly in the way and interfering with sailing the boat?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Measure the width of your cockpit gunwales and measure the height from you gunwale to the bottom of your boom.

you might have to cutdown the tubing of the bimini frame to get under the boom... and pay attention to where your mainsheet attaches to the boom . You may need to shift that also but probably not

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Anything to be able to stay out of the sun is worthwhile. You may have to seat while under it and crouch getting in and out; it maybe too narrow, tall and may not look good but it is necessary. If everything fails get a large umbrella.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
That boat really is not set-up for a bimini, the mainsheet is right in the middle, no attachment rails aft, low boom. I'm not trying to be sarcastic when I say a good wide brimmed straw hat and long sleeves! Worked well for me in Mexico for years.

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
That boat really is not set-up for a bimini, the mainsheet is right in the middle, no attachment rails aft, low boom. I'm not trying to be sarcastic when I say a good wide brimmed straw hat and long sleeves! Worked well for me in Mexico for years.
I'm thinking you're right, Dave.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
My H26 has the main sheet attached to the cockpit sole and the sheet attaches at the boom right over the companionway. It just clears my bimi
Go to eBay and do a search for “small boat Bimini top”
You will see they even make them for kayaks and canoes. You don’t need a rail but you will have to figure out how your main sheet clears... on a Mac Gregor 22 I used to have, the traveler was on the transom and the sheet attached at the end of the boom. Worked fine.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I know the boat as it is fiberglass built vs ACP. Call Jim Larsen at Ameriseam in Tampa to see if it can be done. Speak only to him mentioning I sent you.

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
Thank you for your helpful replies.
This boat is new to me. So I think I'll tough it out for a bit before I decide if a Bimini is needed. In the meantime, I'll try Dave Groshong's suggestion of a big hat. (with tie downs).

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Get a gust buster large umbrella. It won't invert with wind. Allows wind to pass through. I tie one on the stern rail when I take the dog with me. He gets shade, not me. There is no room for a Bimini on a Capri 22. Hat and sunscreen per my picture.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I have a professionally made bimini on my O'Day 25. It's a total game changer. Different experience but we feel a lot less fatigued when we use it. PO said he wish he had gotten it years ago. He paid $1100-1200. No issues in heavy winds. I fold it up when I'm away from the boat to keep bird poop off of it. I have it dry cleaned once a year for $15.

The boom is very close to it and must be pushed up a bit when I fold it up

I know a couple that adapted an off the shelf bimini for their O'Day 25. They said getting the hole in the right place for the backstay was a bear. PM me if interested. I have a couple of ideas to make that task easier

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
You can see how close it is to the boom. The sail cover actually touches it. PO stated that most canvas shops passed on the job. We went through some rough weather one day last year. The next morning I remember saying, "Imagine if we went through that without the bimini"
9758.jpg1296.jpg7980.jpg9228.jpg