Bimini for Catalina 27

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 27 5231 Lake Champlain
I have an 82 model and wanted to get some opinions on whether a Bimini would be at all practical on this boat. It has the split backstay and traveler at the end of the boom so I'm concerned there is really no place to put it and it will get in the way. I would probably just use it on the mooring and not under sail. Thanks

Last edited:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I do not remember what your model boat looks like. Need a photo or two. However, in general, bimini is very nice while sailing to keep you in the shade. Split backstay is non-issue. If practical for your boat, set bimini height high enough that you do not have to stoop while at the helm, say, 6'-6" from cockpit deck. Make certain that the bimini extends aft at least to the furthest aft part of the boat (usually lowest part of stern). Set width to follow approximately toe rail width (Isosceles Trapezoid shape). Set forward end about ten inches aft of boom end. If that works for your boat, it should prove to be a blessing. My boat, like yours, has split backstay and traveler connected to boom end. Photo of my bimini here:
1623156928582.jpeg

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
Good advice from RoyS.
I would go with a custom Bimini to get it exactly fit to your boat, and with the features that you want.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I have an 82 model and wanted to get some opinions on whether a Bimini would be at all practical on this boat............
Suggest doing an internet search on "Catalina 27 bimini images" and you find examples of a bimini on Catalina 27's. Catalina Direct sells them here Biminis (catalinadirect.com) OR contact your on-line bimini store OR local canvas shop for a custom fit.

1623163126443.png

shank

Apr 20, 2016
I do not remember what your model boat looks like. Need a photo or two. However, in general, bimini is very nice while sailing to keep you in the shade. Split backstay is non-issue. If practical for your boat, set bimini height high enough that you do not have to stoop while at the helm, say, 6'-6" from cockpit deck. Make certain that the bimini extends aft at least to the furthest aft part of the boat (usually lowest part of stern). Set width to follow approximately toe rail width (Isosceles Trapezoid shape). Set forward end about ten inches aft of boom end. If that works for your boat, it should prove to be a blessing. My boat, like yours, has split backstay and traveler connected to boom end. Photo of my bimini here:
View attachment 194969
That's an awesome bimini, Roy. I could sit all day underneath that.

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Thanks for the great responses. I'm going to shop around a bit more. A local canvas maker wants $1,800-$2,000 and that's just not in the budget right now.

shank

Apr 20, 2016
I am measuring for the width of a new Bimini and not sure if I should install the attachment point of the Bimini in the general vicinity of green or red arrow. The green is the elevated part of the deck (if you can't tell from the photo)

Attachments

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
In general you should try to get as much shade as possible out of your bimini. Wider is better. Longer is better. The deck main attachment, if a single pair, is usually close to the center of the longitudinal dimension of the bimini. That said, you must avoid interference with items like your winch handle. You absolutely need to be able to rotate your winch handle 360d to trim your sails comfortably. If necessary, I see no reason why your bimini frame can not bow outward to be wider at the top than at the attachment at the deck. Design carefully with the bimini builder at the boat to arrive at the best solution. You are unlikely to find a good solution in a boxed bimini in a marine store. Look around your marina for well designed biminis and ask the boat owners where they obtained them. Expect a lengthy wait time, possibly missing this season, and be prepared for a significant cost. Worth it in the end; Argos, my standard poodle, has not ventured out from under my bimini since the day it was installed.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I am measuring for the width of a new Bimini and not sure if I should install the attachment point of the Bimini in the general vicinity of green or red arrow. The green is the elevated part of the deck (if you can't tell from the photo)
I'd go with the red arrow. It would give you a wider bimini, thus more shade. Also, getting into the cockpit onto the deck and the other way would be easier with the red.