Bimini for 23.5 with stern rail seats

Dec 23, 2013
Hunter 23.5 and 27, 2006 Redbud Marina
I've owned a 23.5 for 5 years and want to install a bimini. It seems the custom made biminis go under the boom (too low for me) or stop short of the boom. I've installed a boom kicker so the back stay is removed which allows a little more clearance for a bimini above the boom. The custom made are too expensive for me. I want to convert a pontoon bimini with the correct width and then adjust the height and how far forward it comes by cutting tubing and resizing the fabric.
Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
It took me a sec to realize you meant topping lift, not back stay. If you have stern rail seats, don't forget to try to make the bimini high enough so one can still sit in those seats! I've been on big boats where I couldn't sit in the stern rail sets.

Dec 23, 2013
Woops! Topping lift is correct. We also have a 2006 Hunter 27 with stern rail seats and Bimini. The height is just right between seats and Bimini. Boom is 6 feet plus tall on the 27. The 23.5 boom is around 54 inches tall. So Bimini must go above boom for me as I am 6' 4"

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The forum store uses a manufacturer, Ameriseam, who makes the biminis for the water ballast boats. There generally is a 4' or 6' bimini offered for the 23.5. I would suggest the aluminum tube frame which can be shipped to you as the frame comes in two pieces for each bow. I would suggest a light color. You will need to advise your 23.5 has stern rail seats. It would be a lot easier than trying to modify a pontoon bimini. As for your bimini it can be under the boom but you would not be able to stand up.
I introduced the manufacturer to Hunter and was there when the 23.5 was being measured for a bimini at my request.
One question, are you sure about the year your 27 is? Is the 27 a water ballast or keel boat? I do not recall a 27 in 2006 but memory is lacking on this for right now. I introduced all new boats under 30 feet for Hunter generally at Annapolis boat shows.

Dec 23, 2013
Thanks Crazy Dave, as usual your answers are very helpful. I will purchase the one from the forum's store.
The Hunter 27 is a shoal draft, in-mast furling and large for a 27 down below.
Thanks for kind and helpful responses! Martin in Tulsa
h27.JPG

Dec 23, 2013
Thanks for everybody's responses! I took the gamble on bought a Chinese made $220 bimini for a pontoon boat and modified it to fit the Hunter 23.5. Lots of cutting and fitting, still need to make some minor adjustments to the fabric.
Overall a good result. I'll try to post a picture.

Attachments