Bimini for 1976 C30 w/ Aft Traveler

Sep 30, 2014
Catalina 30 Gales Ferry, CT
I am searching for a bimini or similar solution that would work with my 1976 Catalina 30 with an aft traveler. Are there any options out there that would work without upgrading to a midship traveler? I'd be good with something that covers only the area of the cockpit foreward of the traveler, or even a two bimini solution.

My search hasn't turned up many definitive answers on this. It sounds like some have had success with the Taylor Made Anchor Shade III and Westland bimini products (e.g. 4675A-X). I'm interested to know what others have done to get some shade on their older Catalinas?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi Hill, a PO of my 1978 C-30 moved the traveler to right outside the companionway(see photo). It's not an ideal solution but may be something with which you can deal. I cannot, but that's just me!

Attachments

Sep 30, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you; that location definitely does not look convenient or ideal! Must make access to the companionway a bit awkward..

If I absolutely need to move the traveler, I would probably bite the bullet and put it up on the stationary part of the hatch over the companionway. However, I'm hopeful that there's a solution out there that does not require this.

Aaron

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi Aaron, a nice gentleman from USVI sent his old traveler to me(it is curved) and very nice! I plan to install it in the near future! The one I have now is not really convenient but I will send it to you if you think you can make it work! It has brackets and a car!

Lee

Sep 30, 2014
Hi Lee, that is extraordinarily generous of you! Do you have some pictures of your old traveler that you can send to me? I'm assuming you had it installed mid-boom? What made it inconvenient, the location?

Thanks!

Aaron

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Most 30' and above all have mid boom sheeting. No issues, but a vang helps with sail trim. Once I get mine set 90% of the main adjustments are with the traveler until going downwind

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Sorry Aaron, something I said must have gotten misinterpreted! I was talking about the one in front of the companionway! I apologize for not explaining it correctly. That's my old one!

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
You may be able to pick up a take off curved mid boom traveler for little money from someone upgrading to a new Garhauer setup. I plan on eventually going that route in a few years myself.

Like John said I have notice also that my last boat having a boom end setup we used the sheet a lot more than now with the mid boom of our C30.

Sep 30, 2014
Lee, that's my mistake - for some reason, I didn't connect the dots between your two posts. I thought you had an extra curved traveler for above the companionway, but now I understand that is what you just got to replace what you currently have. I actually already have the same traveler that you are looking to get rid of (mine is mounted aft of the pedestal), but I appreciate the kind offer!

John and Gary - am I correct in assuming that the reason you sheet less with the mid-ship traveler is ease of access? I'm guessing that when it was right behind you at the helm, you were more apt to make adjustments, but now that you have to walk forward you don't do so as often? If that's the case, I'm happy to trade some slight inconvenience for protection from the sun on longer trips.

If anyone knows of a curved mid-boom traveler available for a small sum of money, I'd greatly appreciate any leads.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Ease of access is nice as I usual sit on the combing with a tiller extender but not the primary reason. With mid boom the traveler stays under the boom For more of its range of motion. Even going down wind the sail starts touching the spreaders with only 4 or 5 feet of sheet out.

This is with the wind about 25deg starboard of the beam.

Attachments

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Aaron thanks for the admission! I thought I may have made a mistake in the way I explained it! I'm very excited about the curved traveler. I wonder if it can be "flattened out"? haha!

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I gave away my traveler because I installed a Harken system just in front of the cockpit seats. My boat has a wheel and while seating on the coamin I can adjust main, jib, back stay and traveler while steering. I weny to the Amazon website and ordered a short bimini that will go from behind the main sheet to behind the backstay. I will need to modify it slightly for the back stay. I can also install one up front to cover the companionway or install a dodger.

Sep 30, 2014
Cayennita, thanks for the information. I'm trying to visualize what you are describing; is your traveler currently located foreward or aft of your pedestal? I have pedestal steering as well, but my traveler is located behind the helm, just forward of the stern lazarette.

If your layout is similar to mine, would you mind sending me a link to the specific bimini that you purchased on Amazon? I'd imagine you could cut in a couple zippers to allow for the back stay to pass through.

Aaron

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
hillzz22, I have a curved traveler from a 1977 C30 for sale. I have sent you a PM.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I have yet to figure out how to attach a picture from my ipad album to this site.