Bimini Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2011
Catalina 25 Washington NC
We purchased our Catalina 25 '86 in April of this year and it came with a bimini. To raise the bimini we have to remove the cunningham and raise the boom. In this configuration we cannot raise the mainsail to it's full height and so therefore we can't sail with the bimini up, a huge disadvantage in our NC summer heat. I was wondering if everyone has this same problem and if anyone has solved it. Do we need a new shorter sail, or a different bimini? I sure would love to get this resolved before next summer. Any advise would be appreciated.

BTW - our boat was blown into a marsh by Irene. It's a long story that I won't bore you with but believe me when I say everything worked against us week Irene came in. It took 3 weeks and several attempts to get her out but she's mostly ok, just a few deck cracks here and there and a nasty scrape down her starboard side from where they dragged her out. Nothing that our insurance and boat yard can't take care of, but we're out of the water for the fall season and very disappointed.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Sorry to hear of your boat damage. I used to have a C 25 with a bimini that I installed.
The only way to sail with the bimini up is to cut the stainless steel tubing that holds up the bimini frame. Use a hacksaw to cut the tubing to the maximum height so that the frame just meets under the boom & allows it to swing freely.

Jul 7, 2009
Catalina 30 Mark I Stockton, Mo
I did just what JRowan suggests; I cut the bimini down to just clear under the boom when under sail. It gets hot and sunny here in Kansas, and it's nice to have the shade.

I simply raised the main in the slip on a calm day, and figured out the lowest the boom would ever be, then cut the poles on each side to where the boom would always clear by about one inch. This is especially nice when I'm slipped and sipping a cool beverage. The only problem I had was closing the bimini, but all I had to do was raise the boom with the topping lift, and it cleared fine.

Another thing I did was to replace the rear straps with a telescoping, adjustable back pole so that the bimini, when closed, would stand up on its' own. That way, I didn't have to lay it on the top of the cabin, and it stayed dryer after a rain.

Sep 18, 2011
Thanks for your replies - I'm not sure we can lower it enough to make it worth while to have it. If we shortened it to that extent we would have the devil of a time getting out from under it to go forward. The boom is pretty low - just barely clears our heads when sitting down. I'm wondering if the main is too big, or if we should shorten it. I'd like to be able to go forward without having a big hassle.

On a different note - we finally got the boat back and went for our first sail in months - it was WONDERFUL. 12 knots and a beautiful beam/broad reach in both directions! We've only done some temporary repairs for now, but we wanted to at least enjoy a little bit of this fall weather before it gets too cold. No need for the bimini right now!:)

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Often with boats of all sizes, when faced with the bimini height, need to have the mainsail recut so that the boom clears the bimini. If the gooseneck (point where boom attaches to the mast), is fixed, then there will be a rise in the trailing edge of the boom. On your C 25 you might not be able to raise the inboard boom end (gooseneck) if it is adjustable because of the sail entry slot. But, if you can and keep the sail entry slot functional, then maybe you can keep the boom perpendicular to the mast or have a lesser angle aft. Obviously it is important to be able to stand under the bimini and so to not lose headroom by cutting down the tubing, you recut the sail to make the necessary adjustment.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Capri 22 & 25 are pretty closely related so I'm not sure there's much you can do about the bimini & boom height short of raising the boom and getting your main cut shorter. I do recall seeing someone with a Capri 22 that had a bimini but I'm not sure they were able to use it under sail.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I had the issue with clearance and decided my best option was to find or have made a bimini that was shorter than the cockpit.
I've been on boats where you have to crawl out from under the bimini to go forward and hate it. One guy I met has his crew climb out the forward hatch as he didn't even have room to squeeze out between the aft end of the cabin and the bimini which is a big PITA.
I was able to pick up a complete bimini for a ski boat (SS frame) that was very close to the dimensions I was after on CL. Had a local canvas shop make new canvas in an acceptable color (wifes input) in Sunbrella and am happy with the result.
I can't stand up under it but can see fine over the cabin and can flip it back by pulling 2 pins from the horizontal supports.

Attachments

Sep 18, 2011
Thanks all - especially merlinuxo who sent a picture. I think I knew these were my options but wanted to see if there was any magic out there. Perhaps I'll try to do a little of both. I'd like to be able to stand up- an issue for me all around on this boat, and I also don't want to have to crawl out from under the front. It seems reasonable that I'll need to shorten the sail and perhaps not try to cover the entire cockpit.

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
I am new to the Catalina but it sounds like you have a tall rig. One of my sailing friends had a Cat 25 tall rig and his bimini is short and forward and I cannot stand up under it. I have a standard rig and the bimini is to the rear and I have room to stand up and it is easy to walk around. My boom is rigged forward to the front of the cockpit instead of the stern. Don't know if this helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.