Bimini and Dodger

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 2005 36 MK II (1656) Lake Texoma
Hello all,

Just purchased a 2005 model year 310. The boat did not come with a Bimini or a dodger. No frames, nothing. I am in Oklahoma and the boat is in lake Texoma. I am looking for help locating a canvas shop that might have the patterns for the boat. So far everyone I've spoken with says they must come to the boat to do their own patterns. That is not practical given my location and logistical issues.

Any help, insight or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jay.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Jay,

There is a positive to following the advice of your shops and having them measure the boat, that being you can end up with the Dodger you want. I say this because a number of us have noted that the standard factory dodger kind of blocks forward vision. I for one would have mine lowered by 6"-8" in the future, and have the sides of the Bimini extended to help keep rain from dripping into the cockpit. (also we ended up adding some panels to the factory filler, material that joins Bimini to dodger, again to keep rain from running in.

Other positive is that, lake Texoma most likely has a pretty good selection of people local to pick from to get some pricing. Expect to spend in the $2,000.00 - $2,500.00 range by the time the job is completed.

You will love your boat.

Russ

Jan 22, 2008
Russ,

Thank you for the response. Local marina essentially prohibits outside vendors unless they receive a commission. The pricing so far has been north of $3,500 for the dodger so I was checking on other options. At the end of the day it may be best to bite the bluet and have the marina do the work. At least they are within 200 yards of the boat and presumably readily available to correct any errors.

Downsizing from an Islander 36. Looking forward to more modern amenities and a good night's sleep.

Again, thank you for your input

Jay
s/v Doctor's Orders

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Jay: I agree with Russ; have a local canvas shop do the work - you can get the features you want and it will fit. I replaced my dodger and made the mistake of getting the new canvas dodger from the OEM (JSI) that builds them for the factory. What they sent me was not the same as what they supplied back in 2001 even though I sent the old one to them to "match". Seams and zippers are where the original mounting posts are, etc, etc. Do it locally!!!!

Bob

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
The guy who made factory canvas when the boats were built out here has to come to the boat for measurements to replace dodgers he made. He told me "every boat is just enough different that they must be customized somewhat".

deke

Jan 5, 2011
catalina 310 charlevoix
Hello all,

Just purchased a 2005 model year 310. The boat did not come with a Bimini or a dodger. No frames, nothing. I am in Oklahoma and the boat is in lake Texoma. I am looking for help locating a canvas shop that might have the patterns for the boat. So far everyone I've spoken with says they must come to the boat to do their own patterns. That is not practical given my location and logistical issues.

Any help, insight or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jay.
Hi Jay, I had a dodger built in St Petesburg, Fl. at this time last year. I posted my problems and resolution in the Cat. 310 Forum on about 2/23 13. It is curently on page 6 with a couple of pictures. There was also an article in Mainsheet. I you want more pics let me know.. deke

Jan 22, 2008
Thank you all for the responses. Dodger height is great reminder. I am vertically challenged so having one custom made to my height is probably a smart move.

Boat was just delivered to Cedar Mills today and I will see it this weekend. Hopefully I will be able to work out an agreeable deal with the marina to do the canvas work. They formerly built Valiant yachts at Cedar Mills. So, their work is impeccable, it's their pricing that is a bit though to swallow at times. Current quote is over $7,700 for dodger, Bimini and connector panel. Seems high. If it included a total enclosure I might could deal with it. But for right now that's a bit more than I have allocated. So maybe dodger now and then Bimini later in the spring.

Again, thank you all for your input and observations. I am looking forward to learning about the C-310

Fair winds

Jay
s/v Doctor's Orders

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Thank you all for the responses. Dodger height is great reminder. I am vertically challenged so having one custom made to my height is probably a smart move. Boat was just delivered to Cedar Mills today and I will see it this weekend. Hopefully I will be able to work out an agreeable deal with the marina to do the canvas work. They formerly built Valiant yachts at Cedar Mills. So, their work is impeccable, it's their pricing that is a bit though to swallow at times. Current quote is over $7,700 for dodger, Bimini and connector panel. Seems high. If it included a total enclosure I might could deal with it. But for right now that's a bit more than I have allocated. So maybe dodger now and then Bimini later in the spring. Again, thank you all for your input and observations. I am looking forward to learning about the C-310 Fair winds Jay s/v Doctor's Orders
You might want to do some searching of older posts on this site bc that price doesn't seem that high depending on the quality.

Last edited: