Bills new website on Black Pearls history and restoration.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Fantastic. An inspiration for me, I'm just beginning working with a small website, this give me some great ideas.

Bill, I have some questions about the work going and thought I would start a new thread.

Replacing the large ports: What will you use for glazing? I've been looking into this and can't decide which route to go in the future.

New engine. I have an enormous 4 cyl Nissan diesel that puts out 65 hp! It's not showing any signs of giving up the ghost but it's size has taken some of the galley up(installed in 76). Your new engine looks so nice in the space, so much smaller. My question is how much did it push aft the bulkhead in the galley?

I'll have more but I won't bury you with them all now.

Thanks Bill

Jun 22, 2004
Hunter 35 St Augustine
Ports and engine

Tom
The Ports are being made up by Spartan and we are using whatever glazing they use. I can find out if you want me to.
On the engine although smaller we did not move it back to gain more room in the galley. We are using the area behind the engine for an additional battery. I have also redone the propane tanks and they are being fiited under the aft deck with flush mount hatches.
I am also using some of the space for a auto pilot.
More pictures to come in a week.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Hi Bill, I meant the big "double D" fixed ports.

Despite some safety concerns, I think the big fixed ports are one of the best features Alden built into these boats. They are a sheer joy to have underway or at anchor. I have removed and rebedded them once.

Mine are plate glass. I have looked into various options for better resistance for breakage. Plate is the strongest and increases with thickness. Laminated glass is prone to easier breakage but holds togther even when shattered. I will likely stick with the plate but I may go to a greater thickness in the future(they are currently 3/16" I believe)

I wouldn't consider Lexan even though it is stronger by far. It just scratches too easily.

My boat was fitted with plexi shutters affixed with inset bronze threaded inserts. I've never used them and may remove the inserts when I refinish the cabin sides.

If I were planning to cross oceans, I would consider stronger options but for coastal cruising and an occasional off shore passage, I feel these are adequate. The large glass ports so enhances life aboard, I wouldn't want to limit their visibility.

Anyone have any experience with replacing the glazing in the double D fixed ports.