Bilge Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2009
Catalina 1977 San Diego, CA
What is the normal amount of water that is left in the bilge after a day of sailing? assuming the bilge is dry to start with. I have a 77 C30. Thanks.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Some have none. Some have a tad. Some have a lot. There is no normal, only a goal of zero. Generally depends on what kind of stuffing box you have, 'cuz there shouldn't be any other leaks.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
Some water...

I have a 1977 too. When sailing, I get water in the bilge. Maybe an inch. The stuffing box is on the list to be re-stuffed this spring.

I actually am getting more water as she sits on the hard. It looks like it is trickling from the stern under the gas tank, under the engine into the bilge. I've had to pump it out twice in between thaws.

I did install another bilge pump. There are now 2 in the bilge, one attached to a 1/2" hose that is temporarilly tee'd to the main 1 1/4" bilge hose. Another project to add a seperate through hulls for both bilges.

Good luck!

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
It is a boat....all boats leak in some way or another. If you have a dripless shaft seal then you will get rain water in the bilge. Either way it isn't a big deal unless you are running your bilge pump so much that it will run down the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.