Bilge water smells like gas

Mar 7, 2024
Hunter 26.5 Deale
Hi all,

I'm in process of siphoning out some water in the bilge of this 26.5 i just pruchased. Im just pumping it out with a little hand pump until it's gone. Not sure how long water has been in bilge but smells kinda rank. Doesn't immediately smell when you go into cabin. But if i start sucking the water out of the limber holes, i get some fine black debri and a gas odor. I do not have an inboard motor. I have an outboard. There are gasoline tanks under the cockpit seating. Is it possible there could have been a spell a long time ago and some of it just got washed into the bilge? Any other ideas? I attached a photo of bilge with red circles indicating the locations of limber holes with
Screenshot_20240330_200359_Gallery.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First the owner was an idiot for storing gas inside the cabin. Clean the interior as best you can. As for the limber holes, they supposedly drain to the bilge but in reality some of the water and gas do get trapped under the floor pan which will take a good year for the smell to dissipate. You could use that in negotiating for a lower price.
I leave up to others what to recommend what cleaners to use. Former Hunter dealer

Mar 7, 2024
Hunter 26.5 Deale
First the owner was an idiot for storing gas inside the cabin. Clean the interior as best you can. As for the limber holes, they supposedly drain to the bilge but in reality some of the water and gas do get trapped under the floor pan which will take a good year for the smell to dissipate. You could use that in negotiating for a lower price.
I leave up to others what to recommend what cleaners to use. Former Hunter dealer
Hey Crazy Dave, I think you're right. No clue why previous owner would allow the chance of gasoline spilling into cabin. But I think thats what happened. And I think some gas is trapped at top of the floor plan since I only smell it when I work the fluid out. I did end up purchasing the boat...they accepted my offer of $600 since there is some fixing up to do.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Looking at your photos, a power washer and a strong solution of detergent and water would be the best way to clean up the bilge and the pan...be sure to rinse very thoroughly after you've cleaned. Leave hatches open, even turn a fan on, for at least 24 hrs to dry the whole area out. That should get rid of the gas odor. If it doesn't there's still gas trapped somewhere...your nose should lead you to it if there is. If there is, it's important that you find it because it's impossible to eliminate any odor as long as its source exists 'cuz as long as the source exists it will continue to generate odor. The last thing you need is gas fumes, 'cuz its the fumes that explode, not the gas. So I'd move finding and removing any remaining gas to the top of your list.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Hi all,

I'm in process of siphoning out some water in the bilge of this 26.5 i just pruchased. Im just pumping it out with a little hand pump until it's gone. Not sure how long water has been in bilge but smells kinda rank. Doesn't immediately smell when you go into cabin. But if i start sucking the water out of the limber holes, i get some fine black debri and a gas odor. I do not have an inboard motor. I have an outboard. There are gasoline tanks under the cockpit seating. Is it possible there could have been a spell a long time ago and some of it just got washed into the bilge? Any other ideas? I attached a photo of bilge with red circles indicating the locations of limber holes withView attachment 224035
Possible spill? Yes, gasoline hanging around and not noticing it until you vacuum it up -no. Gasoline floats on water and evaporates faster than acetone.