BILGE WATER-380

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WALLACE SHAKUN

WHERE DOES THE WATER COME FROM THAT APPEARS IN THE BILGE.

L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners

It's a mystery wrapped in an enigma

Seriously, it could be coming from any number of places, especially if you have an inboard engine. Packing glands leak, thru-bolted hardware can leak, sail tracks can leak, thru-hulls (God forbid) can leak. The only thing to do is start tracking them down, one by one, and fix them. Good luck! LaDonna

G

gary jensen

bilge water safari

As mentioned by the other post (LaDonna), those are all areas that can allow water into your boat. I too have a 380 and experienced water in my bilge. In my case it was the fittings that Catalina uses on the 380 in your internal tanks. I had one that failed (slightly) and was difficult detecting. I used tissue paper to locate it. I pumped the bilge dry then used a towel to wipe it clean. When thouroghly dry I laid TP down to see if water was coming in aft or forward. I found the loose fitting was aft and just kept wiping and applying the tissue papere till I traced it to its origin...good luck. Gary

R

Rick

Surprise!!

You might also consider the condensation from the evaporator if you have an A/C unit....I was surprised to find this source after owning the boat two years....the chilled water was a give away after I had tracked down the other sources. Rick S/V Illusion

T

Tom

1st identify is it fresh water or briney

If it is briney (salty) it could be from stuffing box or a number of places...if it is 100% fresh water it could be a leak from a port or deck leak (has it been rainng alot recently)..... But recently on my boat the same thing happened and it was coming from the inspection port on one of my water tanks. So when ever I overfilled one of my water tanks the overflow would leak out and go into my bilge.....don't discount fresh water fitting throughout boat.

G

Gloria

Water in the Bilge - Too Cool!

WAlly, It is probably from one of the 2 air conditioning units on your boat from condensation. You know who we are! Pura Vida, Gloria

P

Paul

leaks

We have a new 36 MKII and we had the same problem as Gary and Tom. We thought the bilge water was coming from the block openings in the mast. We anchored out one evening and all 3 tanks were empty (we had only used one tank to at this point). When we refilled the tanks we discovered that the inspection holes leaked on all 3 tanks--when full. The nipple on the v-berth tank--not the hose--had never been tightend by Catalina. So I had to pull the hose off to tighten it with a full tank of water. The hose on the aft center line tank was also loose. There is no access to the hose on the aft starboard tank, but I suspect it is leaking as well. I will have to cut an inspection hole in the pan to access it. The check valve down hill from the pump also blew out about a week after we bought the boat new. Also check the chainplates. Sometimes chainplate leaks are hard to detect until you have wood damage. Our starboard one leaked on delivery, and I fixed the port one last weekend (6 months old). This all sounds negative, but we love the boat and are overall very happy with Catalina. Good luck, Paul

T

Tom

Paul, You had the same things happen as me

I bought a 1 year old 1999 C36MKII from someone (hull#1800). I had the plastic check valve blow on me too (last summer) I replaced it with a nice solid brass one. And of course I had a few fresh water tank leaks (minor annoyance easy to fix). And I had the starboard chainplates leak (fixed it quickly and easily with "Creeping Crack Cure" liquid dripped down from topsides). Nothing was serious and all are easily fixed, but it seems these few "annoyances" are happening to a batch of the C36's. I wonder if Gerry Douglas and the Catalina factory people know about this.....What hull # do you have? And like you said. This all sounds negative (but it shouldn't be) Everthing else on the boat has worked great. So other than this I love the boat and very happy with it.

W

WALLACE SHAKUN

380 BILGE WATER

The water was observed after filling the three tanks with water. A/C is not on so no condendation draining.

W

WALLACE SHAKUN

FOUND

THE PRESSURE REDUCING CONNECTION ON THE STBD SIDE OF THE BOAT WAS CRACKED DUE TO FREEZING IN WINTER. tHE RESULT WAS THE WATER PUMP DID NOT SHUT OFF AND WATER IN THE BILGE FROM THE AFT COMPARTMENT.

W

Warren Elliott

Cracked Pressure Reducer - 380

Wallace--Same happened to me. Valve assembly is easy to replace [mfr sent me one gratis]. I've been wondering how to get antifreeze in it for three years, but this winter did it. Will figure someting out next winter.

W

WALLACE SHAKUN

CRCKED WATER VALVE

SUGGESTION PUT A T IN THE LINE AND A VALVE WHERE ANTIFREEZE CAN BE INSERTED, ANOTHER SUGGESTION IS TO WRAP WITH INSULATION OR MOVE TO FLORIDA.THANKS TO ALL FOR GREAT IDEAS....

Status
Not open for further replies.