Bilge - This can't be normal, can it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2012
Catalina 30 Westbrook
So, as I'm working through my punch list on my "new" '86 Catalina 30, I notice what appears to be a gap or hole in the keel liner at the far aft end. Almost like a previous owner had cut something out they shouldn't have. I stick my hand in there and all I get is a bunch of mush. It was at the end of a long day, so I only had time to take a couple pics. Is there a lining of fiberglass underneath this - or are my worse fears confimed and I have a big rot problem back there that is working its way forward into the keel support plywood, etc? I am hoping for a "silver" lining. By the way, I know there is a bunch of oil residue and oil muck in this part of the bilge that I will, of course, sort out as well.

Attachments

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
I'm wondering due to location if antifreeze has been getting into that hole. When the exhaust fails it usually fails right above that spot and when I've replaced exhaust systems on C30s antifreeze always leaks out, also pretty hot right there. Nothing that can't be repaired, just a cooky location to get to. C30s are great, EXCEPT, I've never been a fan of the midengine, snake-the-exhaust-around-the-galley, hide-everything model. I didn't realize till your pic that the oil pan actually sat directly over the bilge.

Mar 11, 2010
Catalina Tall Rig/ Fin Keel Deale, MD
I could only come up with one scenario for a void in that location. My unsubstanciated guess is that the factory had a clearance problem fitting the interior liner into the hull and they grinded it out in order to get it glued in. Possibly a Friday afternoon boat that never got fixed on Monday.

Rob

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I would at least fix the hole asap by filling it with some epoxy, such as West Systems via a caulk gun tube. That is about the only way you're gonna get something to fill that hole from the very limited access. I would try to clean out as much oil residue as possible around the hole first, so that the new epoxy will bond properly to the old, dirty fiberglass in the bilge. While you're at it, seal anything else that looks like a suspicious crack, etc. in the bilge. We sailors are famous for drilling holes into the bilge pan to install a sump pump & float switch, etc. which allows moisture to migrate in & start the rotting out of the plywood beneath the sump. I would be more concerned about a hole at the forward end of the bilge, which would allow moisture into the compression post base. You may want to inspect this area as well for cracks, holes or rot. Gotta love keeping up a 25+ year old boat.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I'm wondering due to location if antifreeze has been getting into that hole. When the exhaust fails it usually fails right above that spot and when I've replaced exhaust systems on C30s antifreeze always leaks out, also pretty hot right there. Nothing that can't be repaired, just a cooky location to get to. C30s are great, EXCEPT, I've never been a fan of the midengine, snake-the-exhaust-around-the-galley, hide-everything model. I didn't realize till your pic that the oil pan actually sat directly over the bilge.
Yep, that's one of the major drawbacks of having the engine set so far forward. The oil pan is constantly suffering corrosion from the bilge water either splashing onto it, or condensation forms causing rusting. That's why a lot of old C 30 engines die when the pan rusts through, then all the oil leaks out & burns up the engine. Gott love it. Mine is partially insulated from the years of old oil that has covered the bottom of the pan from previous oil change leaks from sloppy P.O.!

Status
Not open for further replies.