Bilge question. I have no life

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
While I was crawling around under the aft berth tracing out my sanitation system, another story in another thread, it reminded me that I wanted to try to bleach out or whiten the yellowed or otherwise stained bilge surfaces. This might be an off season project. The bilge is always bone dry.
Any idea what works well without asphyxiating myself? Whitening toothpaste might get expensive and messy :biggrin:

Edit/PS: I didn't want to hijack

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Interesting Dave. Looks like I would just have to lightly sand to prep. I didn't see how to remove oily residue.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Sand through it or if it clogs the sandpaper use a degreaser? On a semi-related note, I find that laundry detergent works better than anything for removing grease from skin

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Rent a steam cleaner, then sand and paint.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Barkeeper's Friend might help. If the stains are the result of tannin then this would work very well.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Interesting Dave. Looks like I would just have to lightly sand to prep. I didn't see how to remove oily residue.
Try using mineral spirits to remove the grease and oil. Followed by a good dishwashing detergent, like Dawn.

Nov 21, 2019
Catalina C30 4200 Muskegon, Michigan
While I was crawling around under the aft berth tracing out my sanitation system, another story in another thread, it reminded me that I wanted to try to bleach out or whiten the yellowed or otherwise stained bilge surfaces. This might be an off season project. The bilge is always bone dry.
Any idea what works well without asphyxiating myself? Whitening toothpaste might get expensive and messy :biggrin:

Edit/PS: I didn't want to hijack
put some zing boat bottom cleaner it let it soak 1/2 hour then bilge out.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Get any of the "fiberglass stain removers" with oxalic acid - FSR is a good one because it's already in a gel that stays put. Barkeepers friend is not as strong but cheaper. You have to let it sit to work.

If that doesn't work, try OxyClean. Again, make a paste and let it sit.

Sometimes scrubbing the stain remover with a magic eraser will also help

Do not use chlorine bleach or the stronger acid cleaners like On-and-Off in a confined space like a bilge. It can scar your trachea and lungs leading to lifelong chronic bronchitis or worse.