Bilge Pump

Mar 20, 2021
Oday 25 St Petersburg
I have a new/old Oday 25 without a bilge pump. I have the components but not sure where to locate exit. Transom? Side? How high from pump?

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Your new pump will give you the lift capability. As for discharge location, the transom is where many boats locate. Keep in mind seas against the transom can funnel down the hose. A check valve at the pump discharge and a flapper on the transom discharge should keep you safe..

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
How did you route the hose out of the bilge? Any pictures?
Different boats.. Now with a C-34 that was already plumbed.. However, I had an O'day 272 that needed a bilge pump. On that boat the discharge line was run under the inboard diesel and up into the starboard lazarette and aft the transom where it discharged.. The check valve was at the pump and the discharge was high enough up the transom that following seas would not be an issue.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
It does not make a difference whether it discharges out the stern or side but make sure it discharges above the maximum angle of heel with a riser loop before the discharge point to mitigate siphoning seawater,. To reduce pump backpressure use 1.5" diameter smooth bore hose, avoid kinks, bends and sags, avoid check valves and minimize hose length. That is the way it is designed on my Hunter46. This O'Day 25 installed the outlet 2 feet above the water line on the starboard side Bilge Pump Install On My O'day 25 Sailboat | E22 - Bing video. These articles might be helpful: Bilge Pump Installation and Maintenance Tips - Practical Sailor (practical-sailor.com) , Installing the Ultimate Bilge-Pump System | Boating Magazine AND Installing a Bilge Pump | BoatUS

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
There's only one above water factory through hull on my O'Day 25. It's located on the side. The front sink drains through it as does my bilge pump. My pump was installed at the front of the bilge by a PO. I would prefer to do the back of the bilge since it's the deepest point. Anyways, the hose goes from the pump, under the floor and to a hole in the cabinet floor. In addition to a T fitting, you should also install a vented loop. A check valve can get stuck open. I can take pics if you'd like