Bilge pump wiring question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2010
Catalina Catalina 30 Stockton, California
I have a 1989 Catalina 30 with what I believe is a factory wired bulge pump. In trouble shooting why it doesn't work, I looked at the wiring to the bilge pump switch behind the switch panel. I noticed that there is no wire to the bilge pump switch. There appears to be 12vdc going to the switch but no wire on the other side. The switch has two positions -- Manual and automatic. I inspected the battery compartment and noticed no apparent wire running from the battery directly to the pump. I also noticed that the water pressure switch is also labeled sump pump for the shower.

I guess my primary question is how does the pump get 12 vdc? I believe the proper wiring is for the pump to be hard wired to the 12vdc so that the float valve will activate the pump and that one could also manually activate the pump.

I bought the boat used and don't know the condition of the pump and float valve. So, they may need to be replaced. However, my question remains -- what is the proper wiring? Has anyone had any experience in this area. Thanks.

Jan 6, 2010
Robert,

Don sent the normal wiring configuration. HOWEVER, you have no idea what modification the previous owner made to the wiring. Many times, the guy you buy your boat from may be the dumbest guy you meet. I know my previous owner was. Some people don't have a clue. You also need to do a electrical test to see if you in fact have power going to the float switch & pump.

It's prudent to have your buildge pump/float mounted directly to the battery. Another good idea is to have the fuse right there for quick check/replacement. If you don't find direct wiring to the battery, it may have been tapped into another circuit. Ah you gotta luv electrical troubling shooting!

In all the years i've had to change out pumps, One thing stands out. They are mostly junk! "No Obsolesense' is a term meaning they are designed to wear out.

I find that the float switch usually wears out first. or they develope crud and the float sticks. Another problem with pumps is you get what you pay for.
A cheap pump has short life problems such as the brass impeller shafts eaten by saltwater/electrolysis.

For the correct pump size, there's a general feeling that if you have a small boat, you need a small pump. This is so very wrong. I use the largest pump that will fit in the shallow bildge. Check to make sure you don't have an inadequare pump. I use the Rule 2000GPH, and this is 33.333gallons per minute in a perfect world.

The smaller the boat the larger the pump should be as the boat cannot sustain alot of water as a larger boat/bildge can.

As for the wiring, crimped fittings are a no no. You should solder all connections, apply either a brush on rubber sealer or shrinkwrap.

Also you should run the pump/float wiring to a terminal block mounted high up in the engine compartment, not the bildge area and connect all your wiring here.

And most of all, make sure your bildge doesn't have a high level of standing water as this also causes water to be splashing on the bottom of your engine whila sailing in conditions. not a good practice if you have an older engine.

I run my wiring vertically right from the pump/float and attach it as high as I can in the bildge area.

Also, I have a PSS waterless shaft seal and tell everyone "i have dust in my bildge". my bildge water is from the cooler or shower and is pumped out immediately.

Good luck hunting.....

c,ron

Status
Not open for further replies.