Bilge pump wiring. Old pump wired through the panel + switch. Is that normal?

Jul 16, 2018
Hunter 40 Boston
Hiya everyone.
My old bilge pump looks like it wasn't the original. I think previous owner did a replacement, and I think the wiring is weird/wrong. But I'm inexperienced with this, so I'd love some smarter people to let me know.

Currently there's a pump and a separate float. They're attached to one-another, but not in the same housing. The float seems to have its own wiring, but I haven't found where that leads yet (perhaps the battery?) The pump appears to go to a switch installed in the bulkhead. The 3 way switch is run through the dc power panel. The end result is that I have to turn on the DC panel, turn on the panel bilge switch, and then turn on the bulkhead switch in order to get power to the pump.
It seems to me that the 3 way switch should get its power straight from the battery, and then the auto/off/manual should determine if it's running. Auto should be the default and I shouldn't have it going through the panel at all.
Thoughts?

Side note: current bilge pump appears to be dead. So I bought a new one with an integral float. It's got only three wires, ground, power, and other power.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Yes the 3way switch should be "hot" all the time and should have it's own circuit protection. Mine has a circuit breaker that looks like a red button it's not on the main panel but the 3 way switch is.

Jul 6, 2017
Hunter H 41DS Hampton, VA
There should be a momentary switch that always has power to it. The circuit either has a push button breaker or an inline fuse. Not an on/off breaker on the main panel. The float switch has a small detent that can be manually pushed down to check its' operation. There should always be power to the float switch.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Originally the electrical bilge pumps that could be found on boats were mostly wired to the electrical panel. Then float switches came around and sailors gained the automatic function but to switch from automatic to manual became awkward. To correct that the 3 way switch was introduced but they kept feeding power though the panel. Current boat designers and smart sailors realized that by wiring the 3 way directly to the batteries (hardwiring) that they could turn Off all other power while keeping the bilge pumps powered and operating when the boat was unattended. Yes you can power directly to the three way switch but make sure you install a fuse in the wire close to the positive battery terminal . The pump may not insure to keep the boat afloat but it may save damage and staining of the cabin sole.