Bilge Pump Stuck on "On"?

• Thread starter Rhode Island Captain
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rhode Island Captain

I have a newly purchased 1977 Catalina 30. Aside from some engine work, it's been sailing well. Last weekend I checked on the boat and found that my bilge pump was stuck on "on." The flapper valve seems to have ceased to start or stop the pump. I had cleaned out the bilge so I don't think it's a debris problem. What's my problem: Bad bilge pump or bad flapper valve? Can a mechanically challenged lawyer (me...) fix it himself? Thanks.

S

Sean

Bilge Pump

I don't know for sure, but if you lift up on the flapper switch the pump should go off. If it doesn't, replace it. You can easily do it yourself, but make sure the wires are sealed from water.

M

Michael Pilar

If the float switch won't turn it off...

I'd first check the manual "on" switch that should be on your nav station. If not, replacing the float switch will probably fix your problem. -Mike

R

Richard

Had a similar problem

I just got a 1982 catalina 30 and it had a great bilge pump installed. Several times I noticed that it was stuck on and yet no water was coming out! Some idiot installed a one way valve about 1 foot from the pump. The pump could not overcome the 3 to 4 feet (vertical) of pressure on the other side of the one way valve. I needed to move the valve farther away from the bilge pump. I don't know if this is your problem or not. You may want to join the sail email list at sailnet.com for the catalina 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.