Bilge pump question

MitchK

Sep 22, 2017
Capital Yachts Newport 28 Burbank, WA
All,
Got a question in regards to what all you N-28 owners are doing for the bilge pump. I have the original manual bilge pump and what appears to be a Rule 1000GPH electric with float switch. The issue I am facing, is the bottom of the electric bilge pump is at a least 3 inches above the bottom of the bilge. I would like to install something with a narrower profile to set deeper in the bilge. A few weeks ago, after running the electric bilge bump and the manual pump, I took a shop vac and sucked out the water that was left. I pulled almost four gallons of water out of the bilge. I do not consider this to be an acceptable condition. So again, what are you guys doing for bilge pumps in your N28's?

Mitch

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
My float switch sits on I am guessing is a 1/2 piece of starboard and the bilge pump right on the bottom and it was set that way at the factory,I would think having 3'' spacer is way too much and so that is why you have so much water left over.
I would try with smaller spacer and try it out and keep a eye that it works OK.
Nick

MitchK

Sep 22, 2017
Nick,
Thanks for the reply. I have not yet pulled the pump and switch out of the bilge. The measurement I gave is from the bottom of the bilge pump to the bottom pf the bilge. It is one of the rule square shaped bilge pumps. There does seem to be some sort of spacer between the bottom of the pump anf the bottom of the bilge. I thought it was possibly one of the keel bolts, but do not know for sure. Anyway, I will pull the pump and take a look and see what is there.

There does appear to be a bit more space to the rear of where the pump is installed. Has anyone considered cutting another access through the cabin floor. I'm thinking cutting a round access, and cover it with one of the screw in ports to give better access to the rear of the bilge. The location would be right where you would step down from the ladder from the companionway. Might not be a good idea to weaken that area. Something I will have to consider.

Thanks
Mitch

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
I find mt N-28 sits with water more forward in the bilge, the deepest part is about 18" behind the mast. I don't see cutting a hole under the companionway steps as helping.

MitchK

Sep 22, 2017
Ned,
My N28-2' bilges deepest part is just aft of the current opening in the floor. Everything drains to this area. My bilge is currently located at the forward portion of this deeper area. Just behind the aft most keel bolt. THis location is right at the aft most portion of the bilge cover. So I really need to get the pump lower and more to the rear. I have ordered one of the low profile pumps that will hopefully fit better. I'll let you and the group know how it goes when it gets here and I get it installed.

Mitch