Bilge Pump in Keel?

May 6, 2024
Precision P-18 Tuckerton
Hi, sailors!
My wife and I are launching our P-18 again after a 7 year delay (we stored the boat when our first son was born). I want to install a bilge pump and place it as deep as possible in the hull of the boat where water collects. Any suggestions on how to set it up? I have a basic bilge pump with a float switch (can't remember the brand) I was planning to install just under the cockpit, but that isn't where most of the water collects. Hoping for some advice.
Thanks!

Bryan

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
1. Coat a thin piece of plywood with epoxy and then glue it to the sole of your bilge.
2Then secure the bracket of your bilge pump to the plywood using SS machine screws… back the screw out and put a drop of gorilla glue in the hole. This will waterproof the wood in the screw hole… put the screws back in.
3. follow the wiring diagram/instructions to feed it power.
4Clip the pump into the bracket.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I’m not familiar with your boat, so can’t help with exact pump location. Here are a couple points not yet mentioned that are pretty much universal though:
Make sure the discharge through hull is high enough on the hull that you can’t get in-flow on any tack.
There will be some normal back flow from the hose when the pump cycles off. How much depends on the length of the discharge hose. Back flow preventers on bilge pump hoses tend to get fouled up. Just keep your float switch slightly higher than the pump so that the back flow doesn’t result in perpetual on/off cycles.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Assuming you are talking about the Precision 18, manufacturing by Precision has ceased but parts are being sold by one of the owners still. I suggest giving him a call.