Bilge Pump Hose Replacement

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I have been having water in my bilge for a while and could not figure out where it was coming from. I knew it was from the aft of the boat but couldn't nail it down. The bilge pump was coming on frequently which of course was troublesome. Finally I noticed a hole in the bilge line, time to replace it. It was hard to measure the distance, my 'expert' brother-in-law said 25', I figured more like 27'.....so I ordered 30'. Well I have 6' left over so he was right....not sure if I'm going to tell him....
So if any 310 owners need to replace the 3/4" bilge drain hose, 24' is needed.
Trident Vac HD Bilge/Livewell hose

Cheers

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Better to have too much than not enough.
I discovered a similar problem last year while I was winterizing the hot water tank. It drains to the bilge so I hit the override to pump it out. Water started running down behind the cabinets and seats from a hole in the hose. I replaced the corrugated crap with thicker, smooth hose. Had to reroute it because it wouldn't bend enough to follow the same path as before.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
When I first launch in spring I always notice a little water in my normally dry bilge center section. I believe what is happening is, that since the boat is stored on stands with quite a tilt to the rear, that trapped water in the bilge hose leaks back through the check valve and into the bilge now that the boat is level. Not sure where else it could be coming from, as the water shows up only in the center section and just after launch. I suppose it could be coming from the keel bolts, but if I dry our the bilge, no more water shows up, until I go for my first +10knt sail of the season, then more water in this same section. After that no more water for the rest of the season. This has happened for the last 3 seasons.