Bilge pump auto indicator

Mar 24, 2012
Hunter 34 531 East Patchogue NY
I am correcting some electrical issues on my recently purchased 1984 Hunter 34. I replaced a seized bilge pump and am now trying to get the indicator light working properly. The manual switch activates its light properly. The auto mode has its own indicator light that had the wires cut. I am installing a new light and trying to establish how to hook it into the panel. I can't attach it to The fuse for the always hot lead from the battery since that would leave the light always on. So, where would be the proper place to pick up hot?

MccNeo

May 11, 2014
MacGregor 26S Evans
Either of the arrangements in the sketch could work depending on the leads going into the pump.
Bilge pump switch.jpg

Apr 20, 2016
Hunter 34 New Bern
wow I am sure my 84 does not have a light for the auto but I will look and make sure mine hasn't been cut. does it use the same light or a different light?
Thanks

Mar 24, 2012
Hunter 34 531 East Patchogue NY
wow I am sure my 84 does not have a light for the auto but I will look and make sure mine hasn't been cut. does it use the same light or a different light?
Thanks
My setup has a light for the bilge pump breaker/switch and a separate light for the auto switch. It is located directly below the fuse holder labeled "Auto bilge pump". My setup is as in sketch "B" with two hot leads. The problem I am having is determining where on the panel to tie in the auto light, ahead of the switch. The hot wires coming from the bilge are the standard brown for the manual side and a grayish wire for the auto side. However, the wire attached to the fuse on the panel for the auto side is light brown and that is always hot. The indicator wires originally used were short so could not have gone far from the fuse. I was hoping someone with this setup could do a physical check. Another point of interest to me is that the manual indicator light illuminates both when the manual switch is on and when the auto switch is on. Not sure if that is proper. If so, why would there be a separate light for the auto?

MccNeo

May 11, 2014
MacGregor 26S Evans
It makes no sense at all that the manual light is on when the pump auto runs unless the light is intended to only represent when the pump is running - regardless of the source (sketch B). But in that case, the second lamp is redundant.

I would suggest disconnecting power and doing a continuity test starting with the brown and gray wires at the pump and testing at the fuse panel for continuity to k ow which circuit is which. When identified, label that clearly.

Apr 20, 2016
Hunter 34 New Bern
I will check this afternoon when we get to the boat and let you know if I do and take some pics or something I do have a fuse in the panel and now not being at the boat i wonder if it does have a light and its just burned out or something like that
Thanks