Bilge Plumbing on First 41s5 ????

Jul 13, 2009
Parker Skipjack 37 Clearwater
My 1990 First 41s5 has a miserable bilge plumbing set up! It has ball valves at every thru hull instead of seacocks. When i was installing new tiolet in fwd head the intake ball valve snapped when I just touched it. the handle snapped the shaft turning the closing mechanism. These ball type metal vales are stamped "1/2" . Are they original? a 3/4 hose fits on them. Does anyone know ? There are other problemas. 1. The Par macerator pump in fwd head is plumbed to the Y valve output thru a T that is also connected to the deck pump out?? I dont think a deck pump out will work pullung thru the macerator pump unless the macerator is on at same time deck pumpout is workling?? The fwd shower pump discharges into the vanity sink across the passageway via a T just above the waterline??? The keel bilge pump discharges thru a T connected to a "1/2" ball valve which is also the sink drain. All the 3 "1/2" ball valves there (under the galley sink) have very rusted handles. Question??? Is this typical of factory Benn y s of this Era>??? Boat was built in France. Or has some prior owner made it this way?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
George. You are describing the pain of many "New To Me" boat owners who acquire a 20 plus year old boat with a name brand only to discover the systems are failing.:yikes:

Perhaps a disappointment, but even if they had been designed for commercial use, thru hull valves are a disposable item. After 20 plus years they do not owe you anything. If I like the boat's hull and the space of the boat, I would go through all of the fixtures and replace them with what I want to use.

Corrosion failure is not boat brand specific.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
George. You are describing the pain of many "New To Me" boat owners who acquire a 20 plus year old boat with a name brand only to discover the systems are failing.:yikes:

Perhaps a disappointment, but even if they had been designed for commercial use, thru hull valves are a disposable item. After 20 plus years they do not owe you anything. If I like the boat's hull and the space of the boat, I would go through all of the fixtures and replace them with what I want to use.

Corrosion failure is not boat brand specific.
:plus: