Bilge Paint that doesn't stink

PK123

Oct 5, 2022
Mirage 27 Crescent Beach Marina
Im renovating inside my lazarettes under the cockpit. Any ideas on a bullet proof Bilge paint? The stuff by Interlux is horrible - really stinks the boat out with a strong solvent odour for months when ever I use it plus I don't fancy working in a confined space. It says on the tin to use forced ventialtion but wondering if there's a better solution. Thoughts?

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I have used TotalBoat Bilge Paint, it is an epoxy based paint that leaves a hard shiny finish. After curing there is no odor. There is little to no odor while curing. The companion TotalBoat Degreaser, which should be used prior to painting does have strong odor that dissipates fairly quickly depending on the ventilation. A good fan helps.

• Helpful

PK123

Oct 5, 2022
Mirage 27 Crescent Beach Marina
Thanks @dlochner! I used Total Bilge Paint on the internal lockers and it goes on much thicker than the Interlux.

Interestingly it took a good week or so to 'go off' and fully cure below the water line level - I suspect that the fibreglass is held at a cooler temperature than the fibreglass above waterline level and so found that it cures at different speeds. I found it still pretty stinky though - for several weeks after application the cabin interior had a pretty powerful solvent smell that evaporated off after maybe three months. I may well go back to it though for this current project as the Interlux goes on a lot thinner. It seems that inevitable that durable paint = stinky paint!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You're correct, temperature will make a big difference in curing time for epoxy and polyurethane based paints. The longer the cure, the longer the smell lingers. When I used Total Boat temps were in the 40s and 50s, it took several days to cure.

I haven't used the Interlux product, so I can't comment on it. Sabre used Pettit EasyPoxy as a bilge and locker paint, that stuff is terrible. Almost any solvent will soften it. Sanding causes the paper to gum quickly.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Interestingly it took a good week or so to 'go off' and fully cure below the water line level -
If you try it again… use a hair dryer to get it to “go off”