Bilge Drainage?

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
The head on our 1978 Hunter 28.5 stopped working, the nut on the bottom of the pump valve came off (I had repaired it a couple years ago, must not have gotten it tight). So I had to remove the pump and in a fit of stupidity, I didn't check the blackwater tank, and removed the hose. A few gallons of that water then drained back into floor and to the engine compartment side and down into a hole that I thought led the bilge.

I started cleaning it up with a wet/dry vacuum. I sprayed clean water down into the hole (Reference attached "Engine Drain.jpg") but I didn't see where the water was going into the bilge, where the bilge pump could pump it out. I can't figure out where the water was going to. Are there compartments in the bottom of the boat that don't drain???

There is about a 1" hose coming into the bilge compartment (Reference the "What is this hose.jpg"), but I can't figure out where it comes from. I thought about removing the floor board in front of the engine (Reference attached "Engine Drain.jpg") to investigate, but it looks to be quite a challenge to remove it! You have to remove the front shroud from the engine compartment.

The other thing that has me concerned are the two holes that are drilled just aft of the bilge pump area (Reference "Where do these Drain.jpg) at the base of the white fiberglass rails, just in front of the bilge area. They appear to drain into the frame, but I can't figure out where they drain OUT to! Using the vacuum, I sucked as much water out as I could from each hole.

I would have expected everything to drain into the bilge pump area, but it doesn't seem to.
What am I missing here?
I tried looking at the Hunter documentation on the plumbing, but that led me nowhere.

What should have been a 1 hour job to fix the head turned into about 5 hours!
But I think I have most of it cleaned up, but I'm concerned that there may be water that I can't get drained out.

Sir Michael

Engine Drain.jpg
What is this hose.jpg
Where do these Drain.jpg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
To answer your question, yes there are areas in the hull that will not drain into the bilge. The pan under the engine is one for the obvious reason of preventing oil and fuel spills from from reaching the water. Your boat probably has multiple gallons of water trapped in the stringers of the hull under the sole. Rain leaks, plumbing leaks, washdowns, sea spray, wet bathing suits and galley spills will account for most of it. This water usually foul due to bacteria and contents found. Your sewage water may not be much worse than what is likely already there. Opening up the sole to get access may have the effect or releasing foul smells into the cabin. What we do to address this foul water is dump gallons of a bio detergent solution inside the hull and then take the boat out for a brisk sail in heavy weather while keeping the bilge pump Off. Later on we will turn the pump on to discharge the flush. This will not take care of it all and may not even reach the deepest confines but has worked in maintaining unwanted smells from the cabin. Trying to get all the water out of there is a lot of work and a loosing battle so killing any smells is all I care about. A flush once a year has worked for us.

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
Benny,

Many thanks for the reply.
That does answer my question.
I'll probably follow up with some bio detergent solution like you suggested.

As for that hose in the bilge, I think that I may take a wiring snake and stuff it up and see where it comes out.

Sir Michael

Jeff

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Carlyle Lake in Central Illinois
My H335 1993 also has a sub bilge. Bilge cleaner and a sail will help as others
have mentioned. As for the corrugated hose, it appears like the ones I have that
either drain the frig or shower pan to the bilge.