Bilge drain plug

Oct 30, 2019
HAS ANYONE found a good technique for removing the drain plug located on the keel? Thanks Zo

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Oct 30, 2019
Hi Lorenzo

If you cannot get the plug out with a screwdriver or impact drive I have done the following.

Drill a hole in the centre of the plug and use a stud extractor. This has worked for me on one boat.

If this does not work then I have inserted a junior hacksaw blade into the hole and made 4 cuts at 90 degrees to a depth just short of the thread. With a hammer and punch I have then collapsed the plug and extracted it with pliers.

Replacement plugs can be purchased from Steve Birch.

David Wisdish
V3283 PonteneurFrom: Lorenzo Gilchriest
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:06 PM
To: albinvega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [AlbinVega] Bilge drain plug HAS ANYONE found a good technique for removing the drain plug located on the keel? Thanks Zo

May 30, 2006
Mine was glassed over.I sanded it down til I could see the brass.
The screw slot was badly buggered up.I used a dremmel tool to make the slot better and then I could get it out with a screw driver.Once out, I used a mini file to clean up the screwdriver slot.rb

Oct 31, 2019
the nut should have a slot for a screwdriver (is most likely coverd
with antifouling paint.
Wilhelm, V-257

Apr 30, 2000
An impact tool of some kind will get it out without ruining the slot. I used a hammer struck impact driver to get mine out, but an electric impact driver would work just fine. The plug is soft, so just twisting away with a screwdriver and camming out would mess up the slot. Bill Bach V 1071