Bilge Blower Hose ...................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Has anyone had any experience installing bilge blower hose other than the usual clothes dryer type of wire reinforced floppy vinyl hose ?

Now before you go off shaking you head thinking "idiot" or worse ............... the need for the blower and hose is due to my engine being hidden away in a Nike shoe box. The air temperature in there rises to 150 deg. F at cruising speed. Not the best air for the little 2GM20F. With an experimental, temporary blower in place, the temp. drops to 80 deg. F.

The first 10 ft. of the discharge hose will be under the sole and will be aluminum vent hose which is perfect for the application where it is protected from harm. After that, the hose wanders through the aft end and is subject to possible crushing damage from loose items in storage. It also sees several tight bends back there. The cheap dryer hose doesn't impress me as it tends to collapse as it goes around bends and will eventually disintegrate with age. Something with a little more meat would be desirable ........................ and should also cost less than an arm, leg, and vital organ :eek:.

Thanks to all as usual for your helpful suggestions.

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
My Solution

Where that cheap plastic hose came through my aft storage area and out the back it was always getting crushed by something so I went to Lowes' and got some 3" or 4" rigid PVC pipe with an elbow (45 degrees?) and adapter for both ends. The adapters were to make it slightly larger so the plastic hose would fit into it so I had something to secure it to.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Bilge Blower Hose ...................

Where that cheap plastic hose came through my aft storage area and out the back it was always getting crushed by something so I went to Lowes' and got some 3" or 4" rigid PVC pipe with an elbow (45 degrees?) and adapter for both ends. The adapters were to make it slightly larger so the plastic hose would fit into it so I had something to secure it to.
Done.

The one section of hose in the aft storage that will be damaged by shifting gear can be replaced by PVC tubing which is firmly affixed to the back of the rear bulkhead.

Thanks for the idea and saving me a fortune (in flexible hose) in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.