Bilge Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Has anyone actually put a set of six volt batteries in the bilge of a 37C? I want to install 4 Trojan 105's and a group 27 start battery. If so, any photos? (None on the photo or mods forums) Any help welcome. Particularly, latitudinal or longitudinal orientation? How many in which compartment? Shower sump moved forward?

May 31, 2007
I know lots of people have put batteries into the sump. However, the T-105's are considerably higher and I was wondering how they made them fit. Would hate to glass in shelves and boxes only to find they don't quite fit! Kind of like building a dinghy in the basement only to find it won't fit out the door or window.

By the way, Ed, when you made your table removable, what tool did you use to cut from the forward edge by the bulkhead back to the mast hole?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
You could make a cardboard template or two Bill. You do have the deep bilge, right? Should be no problem. Not sure about the shoal bilge. I have one group 27 in the section aft of the shower sump/mast. Two would fit but I also have a small bilge pump in there.

I used a coping saw which obviously has a very thin blade. I cut at an angle so the piece can just lay back in. I screwed in a pivoting piece of aluminum on the bottom to lock it in.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
made a 3d Model of group 31 battery out of pvc pipe. Got 3 group 31's in my SD bilge. Two athwart ships behind shower dump and one fore and aft in next compartment aft. Still working on space for 4th.

May 31, 2007
Thanks, guys. The L16's have much the same footprint as the 105's. The main difference is height. I feel better about buying them now. Any advantage to two L16's as opposed to two T-105's? Obviously cost and weight, but in terms of power, longevity etc.?

Mar 30, 2009
Hunter Cherubini 37-cutter Bayfield, Lake Huron
I have 2 290-series deep cycles in my bilge ( deep draft ) on shelfs built by the PO. I was going to move my shower sump and make room for a 3rd just behind the mast, but my wife suggested I put it in the starboard storage under the couch. I think thats an excellent idea, and would actually hold 2 batteries. I also think that side of the boat is light, compared to the port side which has a full-length water tank and the diesel tank. Should even it up.

Once its done I will have 4 290's for the house bank, which should give me about 420-440 amp hours. How many amp-hrs will you get out of those LT16 6 volt batteries?

I'm also curious if other 37c owners use that space for batteries. There is already a hole from it going into the bilge for the water pipes, so it seems a good idea.

May 31, 2007
My starboard bunk also has a water tank and the space at the end by the galley holds the water pressure pump. However, I could probably fit a T-105 in there is necessary. The 1 000 W inverter and the 40 amp battery charger will go near the panel under the port settee aft of that water tank.
Got the Trojans today so tomorrow is glassing in the shelves etc. for them. Will send photos later.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
My waterpump is on the other side of that bulkhead under the galley sink. I could not give up that starboard salon locker space for batteries. I have five AGMs, four in the starboard cockpit locker and one in the bilge. It would be nice to get two out of the cockpit locker and into the bilge, the two that are on the shelf behind the icebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.