Big wheel or little wheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Some time ago sailors used to look for small wheels to open up the space around the cockpit, especially to be able to walk around it from the helm chair. Later on we began to emulate the racing boats and started seeking them big destroyer wheels. It is no secret that the bigger the wheel the less force is necessary to operate the helm. For racing boats besides lessening the load it provides a more precise way to steer without killing speed. For an offshore boat we look for a compromise in wheel size that will allow to sit comfortably while lessening the helm forces. Seems to me that coastal cruisers nowdays come with a much bigger wheel than necessary, I guess the "cool' factor sells boats. Some opt to take off the wheel while at anchor and others install folding wheels. If your boat does not have a tiller, what is your choice?

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
It's all relative I believe....depends on the size of the boat....ours is a 27 ft. and it has a 28 inch wheel we love.....it is very sensitive....push push design by Edson so always active. When the wind is blowing it is fabulous, in my opinion....Patrick

Sep 6, 2011
Oday 322 Hawkestone YC Lake Simcoe
My 322 came with a big wheel and yes it is a pain getting out behind it, so I usually take if off while at the dock or anchor and strap it to the railing when not needed. A collapsible one would be nice but the price is a bit steep for a little convenience

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Our boat cam with a flat 36" wheel. I installed a 40" folding wheel which when deployed has a slight dish to it. This slight dish makes it easier to get around when not folded than the 36" wheel. So I feel there are no downsides to the upgrade.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I with Tim on this one. Our C310 came with a 32" flat wheel that was actually slightly scraping some on the engine instrument pod. We installed a 32" folding wheel that has a slight dish. It's easier to get around when deployed due to the dish and when folded it's a dream. One of the best comfort upgrades we ever did.

We found ours at the Defender sail on clearance for $400, normally it was $800. A friend just found a 40" on Craigslist for his parents Catalina 36 and they are very happy with it.

A friend with a Freedom 30 has a 28" that he takes off and hangs on the side rail. I never really liked this option. I always thought I would drop either the wheel or the key overboard.

Fair winds,

Jesse

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I think you're right Benny. I've had 3 "wheel" boats, 2 Chris Crafts 35s and a Gulfstar 41 and all steered effortlessly. The CCs both had small(er) wheels while the GS had a bigger one but still allowed one to move past without stepping up on the cockpit benches/settees/seats.
I know a couple of the Allied boats and Cape Dory 30 all came with small teak wheels mounted on the box in the aft of the cockpit and no problems with them either.
Big wheels might be compensating for something:D?

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

When I am sailing I am almost never 'behind' the wheel. I am always either on the high or low side. I like a wheel that is big enough so I can comfortably reach from either side.

Barry

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We have the standard wheel that came with our boat. I don't mind stepping up on the cockpit seats to get around it, I find it good therapy! Never bother to take it off since it would involve disconnecting the wheel autopilot.

Many have purchased the high priced wheel knurled knob to replace the nut. When we bought our then 12 year old boat in 1998, we took of the nut, greased it, and it's been fine and easy to remove ever since.

If it ain't broke... :)

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Hey,

When I am sailing I am almost never 'behind' the wheel. I am always either on the high or low side. I like a wheel that is big enough so I can comfortably reach from either side.

Barry
Definitely agree.
You simply cannot see the jib luff nor the luff tell tales when sitting behind the wheel; thus, leaving you with very imprecise steerage ... and no matter how accurate you think your mast head 'wind machine' instrumentation happens to be.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The correct place to steer ANY sailboat is from the rail.

Mostly windward, sometime leeward. Any boat that has a wheel too small to let you do that should probably have a tiller. Which is how God wanted us all to steer sailboats anyway.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Thread drift: but that's why I never understand people who get all caught up in fancy chairs and seats behind the wheel. On my C310 the section of the cockpit seat behind the wheel is removable and we have never had it on the boat. I stand there during maneuvering in and out of marinas etc. and then I am sitting on the rail. I actually prefer the leeward so I can see under our big genny. But our boat has good initial stability and the Bride doesn't like healing too much so it's easy to see to windward most of the time. In big blows I go to windward.

Sorry, thread drift over.

Jesse

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
I prefer to sit at the rail to steer but sit on our helm chair when motoring.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If its going to have a wheel, make it big. When I need to be high I don't want to be forced to sit where I don't want to be.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
You would have to be a tall dude to see over all the nav instruments. I know I couldn't.;)

Jesse
Jesse, that is a photo from the previous owner. As you can see it does not have the folding wheel. That chartplotter has since been replaced and is about 2" lower. My wife(dudette ;-)) is 5'10" and has no problem seeing over whether seated or standing.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Our 36' boat came from the factory in 1979 with a 36" wheel so big/ish wheels were around.. Still the 36" wheel is just a tad to small for me to sit comfortably on the rail and steer. We opted for a 40" folder and LOVE IT. Cockpit is opened up larger than the 36" non-folder and I can comfortably reach the wheel and finger tip steer with ease.. It also made it much more comfortable to steer with my foot/toes as I do quite often...

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
ditto about sitting on the rail, that is my comfort spot and I steer much better with one hand than two. In the case of the Jackdaw scenario, I find myself standing, albeit in some stress producing stance..... using both hands... at least until I get my bearings.

Love our folding wheel, would not be happy without it or at least that size wheel. Very important to us. Worth every penny.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I have a little 6 spoke bronze wheel and after 14 seasons I still like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.