Big Stink...

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
Not really asking a question here: just a story. I've been working on our 2005 Hunter 306 most days for the last month or so after it sat on land for 3 1/2 years. From sitting, there was about an inch of water in some parts of the bilge which rotted the plywood backing discs for 3 thru-hulls, so replacing those has been one of the big projects. But this particular story is about funky boat smell.

Our boat has had a not-so-fresh smell for many years, especially after it's been closed up. After sitting on jack stands for a few years, it was a bit worse, but not much worse. Not exactly intolerable, but I was looking forward to seeing if I could find and eliminate it. With all the fetid bilge water (which I cleaned up the first day back at the boat in early April), I assumed the smell was probably from the bilge or the area between hull and liner. I was working on replacing the macerator, and intended to address the entire sanitary system as well, so I hadn't really tried too hard yet to isolate where the smell was coming from. Too busy working on thru-hulls and other projects for a few weeks.

This week, I finally got around to dealing with the hoses for the head-to-holding-to-macerator. First, I stuck my head into some of the lockers which have openings to the area between hull and hull liner: surprisingly, the odor was somewhere between nothing and a slight musty smell! Barely anything. I did the hot rag test on the 16-year-old heavy black 1" hose between macerator and thru-hull: no smell to speak of! (A little rubber smell, but nothing at all bad, which is surprising considering that sewage can sit in this hose, in theory.) Then I finally managed to remove the cheap white 1.5" sanitary hose from holding tank to macerator. Didn't even have to do the rag test: it was awful. The very sharp, rank smell that I had been smelling for years when opening up the boat.

Anyway, in the whole run from head to tank to macerator, there are only three shorter-than-1-foot bits of white hose, with a 6-foot length of PVC pipe taking up most of the distance under the aft cabin. So I bought 3 feet of Raritan Saniflex hose (like $19 per foot), and will replace the 3 hose runs shortly. Just today, I got the final bit of old stinky white hose removed from the boat (not so easy a job), so I'm really looking forward to seeing what it smells like tomorrow. I also ordered a new Raritan Superflush head, which I doubt will affect the smell much, but should be better on maintenance.

I sure hope the PVC pipe is ok, since I can't see getting that out without moving the engine. Which isn't happening.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
So I bought 3 feet of Raritan Saniflex hose (like $19 per foot),
Oh, you need to shop more. A few weeks ago I bought 3 ft of the same hose from Defender for under $9 a foot.

Glad you found the prime source of the odor.

Search the forums here for Formula B mildew killer. It is a simple DIY mildew and mold killer that works. I made up a batch and used a garden sprayer in all the nooks and crannies and hard to reach spots on my boat resulting in a huge reduction in the odor.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
So I bought 3 feet of Raritan Saniflex hose (like $19 per foot),
Good Lord, list price is only about $15...you must have gotten it from WM!

If you still have any lingering odor in your bilges, there's a product that will eliminate it for good if you use it according to directions--which I'll happy give you if you need 'em. It's called PureAye PureAyre

You'll like the the PH SuperFlush toilet. However you need to know two things: 1. the discharge fitting shipped with it may not be the one you need to connect to you head discharge line. Raritan will send you a replacement. 800-352-5630. 2. The flush water inlet fitting is on the FRONT of the PHII pump, which may require a slightly longer intake line. Shields or Trident # 148 flex pvc is ok for toilet intake lines and tank vent lines.
Give me shout if you need more help...

--Peggie

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
Oh, you need to shop more. A few weeks ago I bought 3 ft of the same hose from Defender for under $9 a foot.

Glad you found the prime source of the odor.

Search the forums here for Formula B mildew killer. It is a simple DIY mildew and mold killer that works. I made up a batch and used a garden sprayer in all the nooks and crannies and hard to reach spots on my boat resulting in a huge reduction in the odor.
I did see that it was cheaper on Defender. But it was only 3 feet, and they had it in stock at [only] 1 of the many West Marine's in our area. Sometimes you just need to get sh..tuff done. :)

Actually, for the past month I've been trying really hard to buy most of my supplies from our small, local marine supply store. He tries to do his best to match the online prices. Sometimes he isn't all that far off, but many times the internet prices are less (even much, much less) than what his distributer charges. I asked if he could come down some on the Raritan Superflush, but he would have lost something like $100 to give me the WM price. (WM prices for some Groco items were way, way high: it just depends.) So if it's not a huge big ticket item, I'll pay more to buy local. But not $200 more.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
Good Lord, list price is only about $15...you must have gotten it from WM!

If you still have any lingering odor in your bilges, there's a product that will eliminate it for good if you use it according to directions--which I'll happy give you if you need 'em. It's called PureAye PureAyre

You'll like the the PH SuperFlush toilet. However you need to know two things: 1. the discharge fitting shipped with it may not be the one you need to connect to you head discharge line. Raritan will send you a replacement. 800-352-5630. 2. The flush water inlet fitting is on the FRONT of the PHII pump, which may require a slightly longer intake line. Shields or Trident # 148 flex pvc is ok for toilet intake lines and tank vent lines.
Give me shout if you need more help...

--Peggie
Yep, I did. (Addressed in my previous reply.) Thanks for the tips on the bilge cleaner.

I looked at the discharge fitting: the 90 degree supplied fitting looks fine. I'm pretty sure it rotates freely, but my existing hose run is similar. My old flush water intake was done with cheap white sanitary hose hooked up to a thru-hull, which seems like a bad idea. So I'm replacing it with black reinforced rubber hose, which means I can cut it to the proper length. I had noticed the front hookup from one of your old postings. Thanks for the help!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I did see that it was cheaper on Defender. But it was only 3 feet, and they had it in stock at [only] 1 of the many West Marine's in our area. Sometimes you just need to get sh..tuff done. :)

Actually, for the past month I've been trying really hard to buy most of my supplies from our small, local marine supply store. He tries to do his best to match the online prices. Sometimes he isn't all that far off, but many times the internet prices are less (even much, much less) than what his distributer charges. I asked if he could come down some on the Raritan Superflush, but he would have lost something like $100 to give me the WM price. (WM prices for some Groco items were way, way high: it just depends.) So if it's not a huge big ticket item, I'll pay more to buy local. But not $200 more.
Supporting small businesses, especially now, is a worthy endeavor. In your area I'd head to Fawcett's and Peter Kennedy first. Defender, Hamilton Marine, are also good choices. Better prices and still family owned businesses.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
My old flush water intake was done with cheap white sanitary hose hooked up to a thru-hull, which seems like a bad idea.
It's not a bad idea...it's what I'd use and what I recommend for toilet intake and tank vent. You'll also need to install a vented loop in the intake...it goes between the pump and the bowl. You'll see it in the installation instructions. And you might consider rerouting the intake line to tee into the head sink drain line. I've posted about doing that a number of times. It not only provides a safe source of clean fresh water to rinse the sea water out of the entire system, but it also frees up thru-hull to use for a washdown pump or whatever you'd like to use it for.

--Peggie

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Fawcetts store is not open as of 0615 this morning, but they have a sign out to shop online. Maybe you can pick up in person?