Big ships turming off AIS

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Oh, please, Ron, give me a break. "Selfish boats causing problems for others." An alarm on your boat is not my problem, it's your problem. Shut it off, or live with it. Shut off your AIS receiver in clear weather in your harbor. You seem to have an expectation of some protocol, or supposed courtesy, that is not in alignment with the real world.

FWIW, "marine wireless" is not "a receive." Nor is radar, but different, to be sure.

On our chart plotters you can set the to not display vessels that aren’t moving, Ron.
There you go, problem solved.

AIS sends your signal to many people who do not need to/want to see a non-moving boats- or worse yet boats sitting in their slips
Vessels that are required to have AIS are required to keep it on when anchored, or moored and getting underway: AIS on at least 15 minutes before getting underway.

If I'm anchored, i.e., "non-moving," or moored, but in heavy fog, mine will be on. It might help someone avoid hitting me.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm sure people argued about having a marine wireless and RDF 100 years ago, and having a radar and Loran 70 years ago, GPS 20 years ago, and so on. These new technologies like AIS are good, and here to stay.QUOTE]
For me it's not about new technologies, but rather a dependence on these technologies before one has the knowledge and experience to do without them, if needed. I've got tons o new tech on my boat and I've always wanted radar, even before it was affordable to the many, because it was an aid that gave so much important information. Seeing boats tied to a dock, not preparing to get underway, is hardly important information.
If someone cannot figure out CPA without the new tech, then they really don't have the basic skills they need to have to safely operate a boat on the waterways of the world, even a small manually powered boat.
The added danger of much of this new tech it that it takes one's attention away from the real world and what they would see if they were looking at it, rather than a screen. Radar is exactly the opposite. Most often when one needs radar it is because there is no real world information to be gained from looking out there, as in fog, inclement weather or the dark. It shows every vessel, no matter how small, navigation marks and anything else that will return a modern radar signal, even a distant rain squall or front.
I see the biggest danger with depending on a system like AIS is when it is used in fog, inclement weather or in the dark, because it does not show every vessel out on the water, only those also equipped with AIS, so it gives the operator false, misleading and potentially fatal misinformation!

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
I would be more worried about bumping into the USN and CG units who never seem to have their AIS active, even when in homeport waters where there is no threat. This might even be a contributory factor to the two USN destroyers badly damaged in accidents in the far east.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Capta, first, please try to use the "quote" feature properly, the way you are doing it makes it look like what you said in your reply is being quoted from something I said; and, it makes it clumsy to reply to you.

That said, it's important to understand technology, use it correctly, and put it into perspective. I never said that I depend on it. It adds a lot of useful, easily interpreted information. I take advantage of it. I have radar, too, and GPS, and chart plotters, and so on. My electronic charts are overlaid with the radar image, and the AIS info is on that screen, too.

Seeing boats tied to a dock, not preparing to get underway, is hardly important information.
Yes, and it is easily ignored. RTFM. To paraphrase you, if someone cannot figure out AIS, and how to ignore stationary targets, then they really don't have the basic skills they need to have to safely operate a boat on the waterways of the world, even a small manually powered boat, in the twenty-first century.

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I confess, I am completely puzzled by folks who seem to be angry that others embrace and use new technologies, and - get this - leave their AIS transponder on while anchored, or moored, or at the dock. Wow.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I would be more worried about bumping into the USN and CG units who never seem to have their AIS active, even when in homeport waters where there is no threat. This might even be a contributory factor to the two USN destroyers badly damaged in accidents in the far east.
Yea, the Fitzgerald and the McCain could have benefitted from having AIS turned on, eh? Agree. But reading the report, I don't see that AIS would have helped them much, there was so much else so wrong.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
not show every vessel out on the water, only those also equipped with AIS, so it gives the operator false, misleading and potentially fatal misinformation!
In fog my eyes don’t see every boat on the water either. That doesn’t mean I should keep them closed. I use them as a tool to complement the other tools available, just like AIS.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The eager-beaver tech consumers make things difficult for the rest of. Now, it seems, everyone is expected to be in possession of a smart phone loaded with apps to be "normal." Certainly true for the kids. Soon, it will be assumed that nearly every boater has, or should have, an AIS and that it is turned on so he does not run into himself, I suppose; or anybody else. This is the same BS that has perpetuated Honda generators to the point where every weekender can now do ??---I don't know what--except make unnecessary noise for the rest of us to put up with. The relentless pressure to buy stuff that you DO NOT NEED is what makes some folks "angry." LA and Long Beach harbors are two biggest receiving ports in the United States. I can tell you YOU DO NOT NEED AIS TO SAFELY SAIL AROUND HERE. The big vessels stay in their traffic lanes. If you stay out of 'em, you won't get run down. If you cross 'em; look both ways, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My second thought was that it was kinda creepy, like someone using a high powered telescope to peer in the windows of apartments around them.
That's creepy, sorry, I didn't know:eek:
Why would anyone maneuvering in a mooring or marina need AIS alarms. Their eyes should already be scanning 360, moving slow, ready to stop or turn. Alarms would only distract. Anchoring out is different. You want people to know your there. And you definitely want to know a boat is anchored in anyunexpected spot.
I know sailors plyed the same waters that I'm in for hundreds of years without these benefits.
If course, over a hundred years ago, traffic was lighter and freighters didn't travel at 40+ knots. Private yachts certainly didn't.
I'm sure, if it already isn't here, it's just around the corner when your boat will know it's in a mooring or marina and all those signals are just static. Your boat will dock itself. All you have to do is slip a dock line over a piling.
- Will ( Nostradamus, Dragonfly)

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
YOU DO NOT NEED AIS TO SAFELY SAIL AROUND HERE
Couldn't hurt.

I don't see where the pressure is coming from, if you don't want AIS, don't buy it. Simple. I know I like it, like seeing the big traffic, and like being seen. There are too many good safety features afforded by AIS to ignore it, in my opinion. For example, I'm looking at AIS MOB devices for my inflatable PFDs.

Last edited:

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I have a setting on my system that ignores any vessel moving slower than 0.2 knots. Which coincidentally is the speed most vessels move while tied to the dock.

I bought two AIS transmitters for the PFDs on my boat. The Admiral and I are going to make a duo crossing to the Bahamas sometime in the future. And I'd really like to know if she fell overboard while I was sleeping down below.

And AIS in the GICW allows you to "see" around the corners for the 2 wide and 3 deep tow that's coming at you.

Just check the satellite view on Google Maps @ 29°38'19.2"N 91°06'44.5"W.
I've made this turn several times. And there are several Class A units in the slips that are not moving but still transmitting. OpenCPN will mark the ones coming at you in red and show you where you are going to intersect them. And the ones moving away are marked in green.

And on a final note, my AIS is tied into the VHF breaker and gets turned off when I secure the boat.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
And on a final note, my AIS is tied into the VHF breaker and gets turned off when I secure the boat.
Is this a transponder, i.e., one that transmits your position?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
It depends on their duty stations; what they are doing; and, how the individual boat is equipped.
Obviously if they principally interceding vessels or involved in drug interdiction -- it's different (or hopefully so :^))) ).