Big boat on the hard San Diego

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
We were out in San Diego over the new year and the place we got on a RHIB to go whale watching, Drisoll Marina San Diego, had this big guy on the hard. All I could find out is that "a rich guy sponsors it for racing". Well yeah.... lol Anyway, wondering if anybody out there knows the scoop on it. Couldn't see the stern as we weren't allowed to wander aimlessly about the boat yard.

20191231_085931.jpg

20191231_085951.jpg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Looks like Driscoll in Mission bay..... you will often see transpac sleds and TP52's being fitted out there. Sorry I can't i.d. that one... I'll take a look tomorrow when I go down. I'm right next to Driscoll's yard in Marina Village.... I can tell you that most of those boats will have a logo on the stern quarter... too bad you couldn't get that shot. There's another Driscoll yard over in Shelter Island.... You can see a number of bad ass big racing boats over there also.
Anyway, next time you're there.... just go in and walk around... they're pretty cool.

Jun 29, 2010
Looks like Driscoll in Mission bay..... you will often see transpac sleds and TP52's being fitted out there. Sorry I can't i.d. that one... I'll take a look tomorrow when I go down. I'm right next to Driscoll's yard in Marina Village.... I can tell you that most of those boats will have a logo on the stern quarter... too bad you couldn't get that shot. There's another Driscoll yard over in Shelter Island.... You can see a number of bad ass big racing boats over there also.
Anyway, next time you're there.... just go in and walk around... they're pretty cool.
Yeah, it is the Mission Bay one. We were told multiple times that we can't "wander around the boat yard". Which, is what I wanted to do to see the boats! Thanks for your help.

Jun 29, 2010
Big 'ol boat.
Did you get to see any whales?
Yes we did. We were on a 23 foot RHIB and had some California Gray's appear about a boat's length away. Was pretty cool. Took me a second or two to hit the record button on the phone for video as my Adrenalin was up a bit but, we got a good look at them for a few minutes up close.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Yeah, it is the Mission Bay one. We were told multiple times that we can't "wander around the boat yard". Which, is what I wanted to do to see the boats! Thanks for your help.
I walked over to Driscoll's today, thought you might appreciate these pics.
The big boat is "RIO" 100... A pure "sled" for races like the TransPac… Same guy owns the orange boat "Rio"52.... www.rioracingusa.com

There's a pic of another TP 52... and a couple of multihulls.... Getting ready for the San Diego-Puerto Vallarta race in March. www.pvrace.com

Attachments

Jun 29, 2010
I walked over to Driscoll's today, thought you might appreciate these pics.
The big boat is "RIO" 100... A pure "sled" for races like the TransPac… Same guy owns the orange boat "Rio"52.... www.rioracingusa.com

There's a pic of another TP 52... and a couple of multihulls.... Getting ready for the San Diego-Puerto Vallarta race in March. www.pvrace.com
Awesome, thanks for poking around!