Beware of flopping jib sheets

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
One picture below shows the screecher reefing line guide near the jib sheet track. The other picture is what happens when you have a jib sheet flopping around, then you get the sheet on the winch and crank hard as a gust hits the boat. There was a loud bang as the metal end of the guide hit the hull.
IMG_0121.jpeg
IMG_0120.jpeg

• Helpful
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Not sure if this helps............but we always take the slack up on the "lazy" sheet on a winch.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am guessing the line guide twists open or closed. That may not be a good application where you jib sheet can flap around and have it's way with your boat. You may need to have a closed mechanism.
1639536584176.png

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Yes, that's the control line fairlead for the screecher/code 0 furler. The OP said that there was a flopping lazy jib sheet. Was the fairlead left in the open position, (as @jssailem mentioned) rotated horizonally? I wouldn't think that a line could snag if it's in the closed position, as in the photo of the new one. Our fairleads are installed so that they are on the outboard side of the lifeline stanchion, which you now know is securely attached (or at least it used to be).

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
The OP said that there was a flopping lazy jib sheet.
OP never mentioned a lazy sheet, only "jib sheet".
Weird. Unless they mistook a control line for a sheet, that's very odd.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Yup... not lazy, just flopping. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OK, it was the lazy jib sheet. The water was rather rough, I was in a race trying to process several things, and I got distracted while initiating a tack (sailing solo). Suddenly the "lazy" jib sheet is flopping all over the place. I get the sheet on the winch, pull in some by hand, then put in the handle and crank hard. Just as the bow is far over and a gust hits. PING!

I should have taken a second and looked forward to see if the "about to become the working jib sheet" was fouled or not.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I still don’t think it would be a bad idea to rotate those 180 degrees, so that they are on the outside of the lifeline stanchions. Our furler line starts inboard, but moves to the outside of the lifelines by the time it reaches the second fairleed. At least then, anything attempting to snag on them would be blocked by the lifelines or the stanchion.

763B1024-F03B-485E-8697-64874EFE2B66.jpeg