Better barrel bolts.

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
I have these barrel bolts holding up the ladder covering my engine compartment. Last week one of the bolts had vibrated open when returning to my slip (2 cylinder diesel), the ladder fell away when I stepped down and I almost broke my neck. I’m looking to replace these with something strong that won’t vibrate open. I now check them before I step down but I worry about guests. I bought a couple of locking bolts on eBay but they’re stamped metal with no way to secure them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
For the life of me I can't find them online right now, but a few years ago I bought some SS spring loaded barrel bolts for the bi-fold doors in the head and V-Berth. The old bolts kept coming undone and the doors would slap around while sailing. The new one's work great and I 'think' they'd work for your application. I mounted mine vertically and what I bought were similar to what's show below, but mine 'lock' in a cutout notch, and these look to be a little less heavy duty than what I found previously (mine were also made by Sugastone - have had good luck with their products). Either way, you get the idea.

Stainless Steel 304 Spring Loaded Barrel Bolt, Satin Finish, Non Locking, 2-23/64" Bolt Plate Length, 35/64" Throw Plate Length (Pack of 1): Hardware Latches: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Jun 11, 2018
O'day Widgeon Lower Stanchfield
Put another screw in the frame that is not tightened all the way down. loop a rubber band between the new screw and the bolt handle.