Best winds for Older V-17?

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I also liked the roller boom for furling the sail at the end of the day.
Yes, a roller boom is great for storing the sail if there is nothing sticking out from the boom that might chafe the sail.

My Corsair had a furling boom with a bolt rope on the main, which I used for the majority of the first season. But it was much less convenient than previous slab reefing systems I’ve used, so I installed slides on the luff and a dual line system with two reefs.

IN my experience, a good slab reefing system is far more convenient to use than a boom roller. We put reefs in and out all day long here on San Francisco Bay, where Small Craft Warning conditions are a daily occurrence. Putting in the reef literally takes less than a minute.

Judy

Last edited:
May 3, 2020
Macgregor Venture17 Lake CoeurDalene
If the pic in your avatar is your boat... it also looks like you need a topping lift.

And do you have a down haul for your jib? Down hauls led to the cockpit will lessen your anxiety a lot and give you much more control of your boat in changing conditions.
I
FB_IMG_1588653417248.jpg
FB_IMG_1588653428306.jpg

Jun 25, 2004
For a topping lift I added this removable boom rest used also to rest mast to keep boom up before hoisting sail . thanks so much for your advice .
Nice looking boat!

A boom crutch is cool, but you will still need a topping lift to reef or unreef underway. A boom crutch is useless for reefing or dropping the mainsail in a hurry if the wind is blowing. The boom won’t stay in the crutch.

.... you need to learn how to reef. Best idea is to learn on a boat that is already set up, or find somebody who is experienced to set up your boat for it. It’s not something a novice should rig by themselves.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020
Nice looking boat!

A boom crutch is cool, but you will still need a topping lift to reef or unreef underway. A boom crutch is useless for reefing or dropping the mainsail in a hurry if the wind is blowing. The boom won’t stay in the crutch.

.... you need to learn how to reef. Best idea is to learn on a boat that is already set up, or find somebody who is experienced to set up your boat for it. It’s not something a novice should rig by themselves.

May 3, 2020
Thanks for quick reply learned the name boom crutch . awesome . appreciate your advice now I have homework ill keep u posted thanks

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've attached four similar diagrams showing how to set up a single line reefing system led back to the end of the boom or to a rope clutch in the cockpit. If your main halyard is also led to the cockpit, you can perform this reef without leaving the cockpit. ...... And I also included a cheesy diagram I made to explain a down haul for your jib. Down hauls are a must for hanked on jibs IMHO. If you find the wind getting crazy and you try to go to the bow to wrangle your jib... you often get slapped to death by the flogging sail as you lower it. If you have a down haul, you pull the jib sheet taught at the same time that you release the jib halyard and then crank in the down haul. The jib will flake nicely against a gunwale and sit there quite while you reef the main.... now your boat is calm and you can go put a smaller head sail on (if you wan to) or just sail with the main for a while.
reefing2.png
reefing.png
Jiffy.jpg
jiffy-reef-setup.jpg
DownHaul.png
. If

May 3, 2020
I've attached four similar diagrams showing how to set up a single line reefing system led back to the end of the boom or to a rope clutch in the cockpit. If your main halyard is also led to the cockpit, you can perform this reef without leaving the cockpit. ...... And I also included a cheesy diagram I made to explain a down haul for your jib. Down hauls are a must for hanked on jibs IMHO. If you find the wind getting crazy and you try to go to the bow to wrangle your jib... you often get slapped to death by the flogging sail as you lower it. If you have a down haul, you pull the jib sheet taught at the same time that you release the jib halyard and then crank in the down haul. The jib will flake nicely against a gunwale and sit there quite while you reef the main.... now your boat is calm and you can go put a smaller head sail on (if you wan to) or just sail with the main for a while. View attachment 178567View attachment 178568View attachment 178569View attachment 178571View attachment 178572. If
Thank you pal for the helpful diagram. I will study this for sure.

Jun 25, 2004
Does your mainsail have a bolt rope or slides on the luff? Slides on the luff keep the front of the sail controlled when you drop it, which is very helpful when the wind is blowing hard. Slides make reefing much quicker and safer. Slides reduce the chance of ripping the sail (where the bolt rope goes into the feeder).

For the conditions you described, frequently over 20 kts, I'm a huge fan of the two line system, rather than a single line for the front and back of the reef. Although having two lines may seem more complex than a single line system, it's mechanically more straightforward and reliable. It ensures that you get the front reef line completely tensioned first (which is essential for protecting the luff of the sail), followed by the aft reef line.

For a comparison of the strengths and weaknesses of all the different ways to rig your reefing systems, take a look at

For

Last edited:
May 3, 2020
Does your mainsail have a bolt rope or slides on the luff? Slides on the luff keep the front of the sail controlled when you drop it, which is very helpful when the wind is blowing hard. Slides make reefing much quicker and safer. Slides reduce the chance of ripping the sail (where the bolt rope goes into the feeder).

For the conditions you described, frequently over 20 kts, I'm a huge fan of the two line system, rather than a single line for the front and back of the reef. Although having two lines may seem more complex than a single line system, it's mechanically more straightforward and reliable. It ensures that you get the front reef line completely tensioned first (which is essential for protecting the luff of the sail), followed by the aft reef line.

For a comparison of the strengths and weaknesses of all the different ways to rig your reefing systems, take a look at

For
I'm so impressed with detailed help you put into this . I will study my boat again and will check to see if there's slides in the Luff etc . thank you and much appreciated. Ill keep u posted