Best winds for Older V-17?

May 3, 2020
Macgregor Venture17 Lake CoeurDalene
Ahoy there mates , I have restored a 1972 Macgregor Venture 17 fractional sloop . I have been in a 2 storms close to 30 knots last year . It nearly rocks close to 40 degrees when a gust of 15+ winds hits all of the sudden . Seems impossible to hoist sails in 10+ knot winds . Its been windy season lately exceeding 15+ knots I did replace all rigging and checked the mast rigging connections all solid and tight .
Im just a bit unsure inside hardware for the main sheet pully if its tight enough at end of boom . holds good but can't see it or get easy access.

After seeing 50/50 on reviews Was this boat only designed to handle light winds not exceeding 10 knots or breeze only ? Due to her age with the internal parts inside of mast and boom. I feel this boat is good only for light breeze sailing not exceeding 10 knots .
Just checking in with anyone's familiarity of its performance in high winds exceeding 10 knots.

My reason for buying boat it was affordable and easy to store in my garage and I'm solo only and not too tall so cabin is cozy and camping fun for lake getaways does well for me in my situation.

I'm just getting anyone's opinion if is it safe to sail her in moderate winds exceeding 10 to 20 knots ? I'm thinking due to her age just sailing this boat light breeze only . thanks fellow sailors for any advice or comments.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
The boat can handle much more than 10 knots of wind if you know what to do and you can reduce the sail area appropriately. You might need to take a few lessons from a seasoned skipper or a certified teacher to show you how.

What size headsail do you have? The original sailplan was for a 115% (or so) jib.
Have you tried reefing the mainsail? You should have a deep reef (same place as a typical 2nd reef) in the mainsail. No need for a first reef in a lighter trailersailor like the 17.

On a fractional rig, reefing the mainsail is the first step in reducing sail area. Then you reduce headsail area. Repeat the cycle as the wind .
If you are a beginner, reef the mainsail if it's over 10 knots.
Up to about 14-15 kts, and intermediate sailor should be okay with full main and 115% jib.
Over 15 kts, an intermediate sailor should put a deep reef (same as a 2nd) and if it's gusty, reduce to a 70-80%-ish jib.
Over 20 kts it takes a lot of skill to handle that boat well.
Over 25 kts in that boat, you need to be a truly expert skipper.

Wind speeds above are approximate and need to be adjusted for upwind vs down wind sailing. From a close haul to reaching, you can't carry as much sail as you can deep reaching and running. For example, ff you are sailing upwind and it's a little gusty, you may need to reef a little earlier than the wind ranges I mentioned. And don't get complacent going downwind and carry too much sail!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
There is a lot to unpack in your question.....

1) Do you have reef point and a reefing system set up?
2) Do you have a down haul system for your head sail?
3) Is you main blow out?

Nov 23, 2018
Vandestadt & McGruer Ltd. Siren 17 Choctawhatchee Bay
No need for a first reef in a lighter trailersailor like the 17.
Does your statement apply to all similar sized boats? I have a Siren 17 with a single first reef point on the main. Would you recommend adding a second as well?

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I had an American Fiberglass 2+2 with almost identical specs. Same sail area and ballast. Same length and total weight. The sails were blown out on it and if you got more than about 12 to 15 knots of wind, it would heel like crazy. I swapped the main with my Hobie 14 full baton sail that was 30% larger. The boat sailed much better even in strong winds. My point is that if the main is blown out, the boat will heel like crazy and not go anywhere. Using a much better sail, but way oversized heeled much less than the smaller stock blown out sail.

I did go back to the stock sail and put some pre-bend in the mast. That took out some of the belly and helped the boat to sail a little better on the blown out main. Not as good as the Hobie sail, but better than it did when I first got it.

Jun 25, 2004
Does your statement apply to all similar sized boats? I have a Siren 17 with a single first reef point on the main. Would you recommend adding a second as well?
Yes and yes. A first reef is traditionally at 12% of the luff, with the second at 26%. For most trailer sailors, the minimum would be at least 20% up the. luff. It depends a little on the rig, bu:)t first reefs at 12% usually are insufficient for lighter weight trailer sailors.

May 3, 2020
The boat can handle much more than 10 knots of wind if you know what to do and you can reduce the sail area appropriately. You might need to take a few lessons from a seasoned skipper or a certified teacher to show you how.

What size headsail do you have? The original sailplan was for a 115% (or so) jib.
Have you tried reefing the mainsail? You should have a deep reef (same place as a typical 2nd reef) in the mainsail. No need for a first reef in a lighter trailersailor like the 17.

On a fractional rig, reefing the mainsail is the first step in reducing sail area. Then you reduce headsail area. Repeat the cycle as the wind .
If you are a beginner, reef the mainsail if it's over 10 knots.
Up to about 14-15 kts, and intermediate sailor should be okay with full main and 115% jib.
Over 15 kts, an intermediate sailor should put a deep reef (same as a 2nd) and if it's gusty, reduce to a 70-80%-ish jib.
Over 20 kts it takes a lot of skill to handle that boat well.
Over 25 kts in that boat, you need to be a truly expert skipper.

Wind speeds above are approximate. From a close haul to reaching, you can't carry as much sail as you can deep reaching and running. But don't get complacent going downwind and carry too much sail!
Thank you for this helpful information. Indeed will take your advice .

May 3, 2020
There is a lot to unpack in your question.....

1) Do you have reef point and a reefing system set up?
2) Do you have a down haul system for your head sail?
3) Is you main blow out?
Thanks will check that out

May 3, 2020
Yes and yes. A first reef is traditionally at 12% of the luff, with the second at 26%. For most trailer sailors, the minimum would be at least 20% up the. luff. It depends a little on the rig, bu:)t first reefs at 12% usually are insufficient for lighter weight trailer sailors.
Thanks so much for your help will check this out

May 3, 2020
Thank you Ill check in to that

Jan 19, 2010
Many of the early Macs had a boom you could roll to reef the main. Check neat the gooseneck and see if there is a thumb screw you can loosen and allow the boom to roll. Then you can rest your main to any size you want.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Dr Judy B as usual offers outstanding advice . In addition to the sails condition and ability to reef lies another variable . Are you cleating in the mainsheet ? Are you playing off the puffs ? When I was learning to sail on my own ,my Catalina 22 would go over in strong breezes and big gusts. Flipping my Hobie 16 because I had cleated the mainsheet taught me a lot. When you are out in what some might refer to as "challenging " conditions ,pay close attention to the top of the waves where the wind is coming from . Gust can form tiny dark ripples . When this are heading are way ,I ease up on the mainsheet and head into the wind. Some refer to this as "pinching". I found it terrifying ,then challenging and finally I started looking forward to them . Most of our boats are far better than we are sailors. Experience brings confidence

May 3, 2020
Dr Judy B as usual offers outstanding advice . In addition to the sails condition and ability to reef lies another variable . Are you cleating in the mainsheet ? Are you playing off the puffs ? When I was learning to sail on my own ,my Catalina 22 would go over in strong breezes and big gusts. Flipping my Hobie 16 because I had cleated the mainsheet taught me a lot. When you are out in what some might refer to as "challenging " conditions ,pay close attention to the top of the waves where the wind is coming from . Gust can form tiny dark ripples . When this are heading are way ,I ease up on the mainsheet and head into the wind. Some refer to this as "pinching". I found it terrifying ,then challenging and finally I started looking forward to them . Most of our boats are far better than we are sailors. Experience brings confidence
Thank you so much I will indeed take this info.

May 3, 2020

May 3, 2020
Many of the early Macs had a boom you could roll to reef the main. Check neat the gooseneck and see if there is a thumb screw you can loosen and allow the boom to roll. Then you can rest your main to any size you want.
Thanks for sharing that info on the Macs . appreciate your advice pal .

Jan 19, 2010
If the pic in your avatar is your boat... it also looks like you need a topping lift.

And do you have a down haul for your jib? Down hauls led to the cockpit will lessen your anxiety a lot and give you much more control of your boat in changing conditions.

Jun 25, 2004
Yes, but... IMO, those roller reefing booms are difficult to operate in rough conditions, and the sail shape is usually baggy. IMO, t's far better to install a slab reef system that lets you reef from either the mast or the cockpit in less than a minute while you are hove to. They are utter simplicity to operate and virtually fool proof.

Judy

Jan 19, 2010
Yes, but... IMO, those roller reefing booms are difficult to operate in rough conditions, and the sail shape is usually baggy. IMO, t's far better to install a slab reef system that lets you reef from either the mast or the cockpit in less than a minute while you are hove to. They are utter simplicity to operate and virtually fool proof.

Judy
Agreed. Sort of..... I had a V22 and my main had slab reefing. But if I knew it was rough out, I would roll up part of the main. It worked well and as it often happened, things would lighten up in the afternoon. I would loosen the thumb screw and hoist and my reef was out. BUT like you implied... it was hard to reef when things pipped up... so then I would use the slab to shorten sail. It was a good system. I also liked the roller boom for furling the sail at the end of the day.
563977_10150951923848244_393590611_n.jpg