Best Way to Step Mast on 27 Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2009
hunter 30 fairhope, al
Would like to hear from someone who has done this on his 27.
Just let a boat yard do this or can I (with the right equipment and help) do this myself. I would like to rewire and add equipment.
Rent a lift or to step.

thanks

Bill

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
Bill, I'm not sure what you mean by renting a lift. If it means something like a cherry picker, it may not work for your needs since if your wiring is original, the electrical connector is inside the mast down near the base. There is no way to access it without stepping the mast. I had my mast taken down by the yard when I rebuilt the mast step and I don't recommend trying to do it yourself. That mast is heavy, it took three of us to move it once it was horizontal. If there was a way to safely do it yourself, it would probably cost as much as paying the yard. You may find a place that has a mast crane that you can use but you want someone with experience operating it.

Manny

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2009
2 1989 Hunter 27 Cheney KS
Hi, I used to live in Daphni AL for a little while, prob didnt even spell it right. Anyway go to www.tropicalboating.com/sailing/mastraising.html and ck out the system they are using. I am rigging one one my H27 now, I had some stuff and hope to rig for under $100, then you could raise and lower with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.